Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I have a number of tracks that fall into various categories
Single songs by artist not officially released. Could be from a TV show, a concert, special event, etc.
Remix of artist's song not officially released. Could be from Soundcloud, Mixcloud, youtube, etc.

Since these songs don't have Albums, they all all under "Unknown" album.

My idea so far is to
  • make a "Remixes" Album for each artist for unofficial remixes
  • make a "Singles" Album for each artist for unreleased ( not part of an album ) singles by the artist.
What do other people do? Ideas are welcome.

Reactions: sracer

Nigel Goodman

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2017
UK
I do the singles part of what you suggested, but also - if there's not more than one item by a particular artist - is to put the name of the track also in the Album field and add artwork found by an internet search.

That way the track IS the album.

I also have a large collection of 'singles' with Various Artists as the Album Artist. But I'm not happy with this as the individual artwork is no longer displayed. I'm still re-thinking this.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I have a number of tracks that fall into various categories
Single songs by artist not officially released. Could be from a TV show, a concert, special event, etc.
Remix of artist's song not officially released. Could be from Soundcloud, Mixcloud, youtube, etc.

Since these songs don't have Albums, they all all under "Unknown" album.

My idea so far is to
  • make a "Remixes" Album for each artist for unofficial remixes
  • make a "Singles" Album for each artist for unreleased ( not part of an album ) singles by the artist.
What do other people do? Ideas are welcome.
I group these "loose" tracks into genres and create a "MixTape" album with "Various Artists" as the album artist. eg. "R&B MixTape".

I used to keep these tracks separate but that resulted in 100's of "albums" that simply cluttered the album view.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
its a challenge. like I have a track where 2 artists sing another artist's song as a duet on a TV show.

it's especially these kinds of recordings that I have to put thought into as to what to put into each meta data field.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.