Ideas for "Magic Jack" USB phone line

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shawnweston, Aug 12, 2008.

1. shawnweston macrumors newbie

I have this nifty device called a "Magic Jack" (http://magicjack.com) which turns any USB port on any internet-connected computer into a hard phone line.

I'm now behind a network at school, and it's not working properly.

Customer service says that I need to "open ports such and such, and forward them to my IP"... but they don't know how to do that with a mac.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Shawn

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You would need to open ports at the internet facing router/firewall. You can't do that: the network administrators would have to. And as your IP is unlikely to be static on the network (almost certainly it's being handed out by DHCP) they'd have to change the forwarding all the time. So basically they'll say no.

3. shawnweston thread starter macrumors newbie

*Sigh*

Dang it.

Thanks for the helpful info. That was quick and informative. I really appreciate it.

Shawn

4. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

If you are behind a college network, the administrators will likely be helpful and assign you a static IP.

At my college, they did that for everyone with an xbox.

5. ladyshorty macrumors newbie

HI,MY NAME IS RENE. I HAVE A MAC OS X Version 10.4.11 AND I JUST BUY A MAGIC JACK TO HAVE A PHONE LINE ON MY MAC BUT WHEN I TRYED TO INSTAL IT THIS MESSAGE COMES ON: THE APLICATION CAN NOT BE INSTALLED BECAUSE IT IS NOT SUPPORTED BY THE SISTEM. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS MEAN. IS ANYBODY CAN HELP ME I WOULD APPRECIATED THAT. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Do you have a Intel-based Mac? If not, that's why.

And you might want to check your cap lock, there seems to be a problem with it.