Ideas for my site improvments?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Rob587, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

my site spygolfer.com

Anyone have any ideas on how to make my site look more professional or better in general?

2. geekindisguise macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

You should atleast change the logo to a white background if you can't change the pages background.

Other than that, looks nice!

3. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Just re-did the site... anyone have any ideas on how to make it look more professional or better?

4. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

5. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

6. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

What do you mean? It loads slow or something?

7. RonCarr macrumors regular

RonCarr

Looks awfully similar to the new Boy Genius Report... :rolleyes:

8. chown33 macrumors 604

Use apostrophes. Consistently. "Cant" and "wont" simply look childish. And when "boozin", "chain smokin", and "gamblin" are s'posed to be a colloquial thang, it should have a trailin apostrophe to avoid lookin ungrammatical-like, dontcha know.

9. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Thanks for the ideas guys!

To me the biggest thing that holds it back from looking more professional is how big and bubbly things are. Especially in the sidebar. Any ideas on how to make the sidebar look a little smaller and more uniform. It seems to waste and take up too much space, and I think that's really holding the look back.

The Boy Genius Report is a good example. Our site our very similar but theirs looks better b/c their side bar is smoother and uses smaller font.

Anyone have any ideas on how to simply achieve what im talking about? Im not the best custom coder, but can do a little.

10. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Did you code it yourself? Use a tool [iWeb, Dreamweaver]?

11. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

As jaikob said, you need to do some work on your header. Firefox displays it badly. You also might want to try validating the XHTML. It's not even close to valid with its current strict doctype.

Attached Files:

12. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

I just used a wordpress template, then edited a bunch of the code to fit my needs. Does iWeb and Dreamweaver make it easy to code?

13. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

OMG, Ive never seen it show up like that on a browser before! Thats awful! I have firefox for mac and it doesnt show up like that. And on IE its fine. Why is it showing up like that?

14. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Someone before mentioned that my site looks similar to Boy Genius Report, which I didnt even know, but now that I look at it I definetly agree.

But why does BGR look so much more smooth, clean, and professional that my site SpyGolfer.com?

15. RonCarr macrumors regular

RonCarr

For one thing their site has a solid gray background, where as your site has only a gradient from the right side of the main content to the right. Their stories section also has a border around each one which I think looks better. It makes it easier to visually see the end of one and start of another. They also use color for the titles for each story.

Your logo background also needs to be transparent so that it has the same background as the rest of the header.

16. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

I totally agree. Want to help me make those changes?

17. RonCarr macrumors regular

RonCarr

Well changing the page background should be straight forward, however I am not familiar with how wordpress themes work. I have never used or even looked into them before. I am guessing you created the logo in photoshop or something similar? All you would need to do is make the background of the logo transparent and save it as a .png file to fix that. I do not know how changing the boxes would work, it being wordpress and all.