Idea's for OpenOffice.org

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slooksterPSV, Jan 19, 2008.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I'm a current user of Microsoft Office v.X - which runs a lot faster than any Office 2004 version I've seen. So I sent an idea to the developer of OpenOffice.org

I think they should include a program like Entourage with OpenOffice.org - if it had built in calendar, address book, and task list (along with the email system of course) - I think OpenOffice.org would kill. I like using the Microsoft Office Suite because it all kind of flows and integrates with one another. Now Apple's Mail, iCal, and Address Book did, but 3 applications, come on - make it a single PIM application.

The other thing that I'd like to see OpenOffice.org do is something they're already doing =D make an Aqua version - enough said there, they're doing it YAY!!!

Don't get me wrong Thunderbird + Lightning (or standalone Sunbird) is a good mail client & calendar & address book app, but yes the notes and that are all missing and it's bulky to say the least.

So now what other idea's do you guys have for OpenOffice.org?

2. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I've been waiting sooo long for OO to have a grammar check. :(

3. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

I beg to differ. Thinking of them as three applications may be correct from a technical standpoint but it doesn't fairly represent the user experience. The user experience in iCal, Address Book and Mail is very highly unified under Leopard, and I would say that they collectively feel like one "application" with 3 "windows". The result is a very intuitive, lucid and indeed unified interface, as opposed to that of Entourage.

4. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Macula's right; they can be used pretty much as all part of one application. Personally, I would be annoyed by something that's a three-in-one for those, because all I use is iCal. I don't need an address book or mail program.

But anyway, for those who would use it, that sounds like a pretty good idea, but I don't think the lack of that kind of program is all that's keeping OpenOffice.org from taking off. I love OpenOffice and NeoOffice. I use NeoOffice for all of my work, but for many people, MS Office is needed for its some of its more powerful features and compatibility.

The main problem is OpenOffice.org doesn't yet have the human or monetary resources to make itself quite as powerful as MS Office. The support isn't there yet because not enough people know about or use it--primarily because of the business world.

If the business world took an interest in opening up to OpenOffice.org instead of sticking with MS Office, then Oo_O would have the support and compatibility to really boom. I'm waiting for the day when businesses are trading Open Documents instead of Word Documents. It'll happen (hopefully) one day... but it'll take a while.

If you're looking for a native version of Oo_O, by the way, try NeoOffice. It's native OS X based on OpenOffice.org's source code. Since they have much fewer resources and are reliant on Oo_O, though, their releases lag quite a bit behind OpenOffice.org's.

Oh! My idea: I want a full-screen preview option for Writer! ^_^

5. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Would it work as well as Microsoft's "grammar" check? >_<

6. Bad Cyborg macrumors newbie

Speaking of which, wouldn't hurt to have a punctuation check too. Noting the apostrophe in the thread title.