Ideas for stopping the backlight from leaking underneath bezel?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SmOgER, Mar 12, 2015.

1. SmOgER, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015

SmOgER macrumors 6502a

Hello all,

Previous owner of my current MBA has replaced it's LCD (not the whole assembly), so now, as it is to be expected, the bezel doesn't stick perfectly into place (seems the 3rd party LCD adhesive tape isn't as strong as the factory one). It's not visible at all during day to day usage and only apparent when you are looking from the above down directly at it, but it's still annoying knowing it's there.

I've tried cleaning the old adhesive and reinstalling the bezel using another 15mm scoth tape ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/28150835434...49&var=580538348110&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT ) but it didn't help with the backlight escaping from the bottom. There are a couple of connectors in this area which I'am not too confident putting the adhesive on (in case I will need to dissasemble it in the future) which certainly isn't helping to align the bezel evenly on the bottom.

I'am thinking about just clogging that gap with some eletronics friendly substance (something in the lines of plasticine but much more powdery). Any ideas of what exactly do I need and where can I get it?

[​IMG]

2. chogue23 macrumors member

I would take it apart and use a couple squares of thin foam tape on the back of the lcd to make the gap tighter. I would think it would be caused by the adhesive tape you used is a thinner tape than what apple used originally.

3. SmOgER thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well the thing is, the adhesive tape I used is pretty damn strong and I'am a bit affraid to take it apart myself without damaging the LCD or connectors. I will probably just live with it for now considering that it can't be even seen under normal usage.