Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
So I have a spare iPhone 6S 64GB and I'm not sure what to do with it.

I wish I could get another sim card with my same phone #, but apparently you can't do that.

I'm not interested in selling it as it is still a very nice phone and I wouldn't mind using the 4.7" form factor from time to time.

Any ideas as to what to do with a secondary spare phone?

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
I wish I could get another sim card with my same phone #, but apparently you can't do that.
Correct, 2 SIM cards can't be active on the same line at the same time. But you can use your current SIM card in the iP6s whenever you want.

I'm not interested in selling it as it is still a very nice phone and I wouldn't mind using the 4.7" form factor from time to time.

Keep it as a backup phone. Then next year, trade it in to get the iPhone 8. Hopefully there will be some good trade in deals at launch like there were this year.

What carrier are you on?
[doublepost=1479712972][/doublepost]
If you are on the US, the other thing you could do is get an AT&T SIM from an Apple store for free. Then get it activated on GoPhone by calling them and don't fund a plan. Then fund the account with $100 selecting the $2/day plan. If you fund it with $100 at one time or buy a $100 refill card to fund it, the money doesn't expire for 1 year. You can often find the $100 refill cards for $90 online.

Anyhow the $2/day GoPhone plan gives you unlimited talk and text each day you use it. No data unless you buy data and you can buy it for $1/MB. You only get charged the $2/day if you make or receive a call/text in a day. Works as a spare/emergency phone to keep in your car. I don't think $100/yr is too much to pay for a spare/emergency phone.
[doublepost=1479713200][/doublepost]
I don't know what condition it is in or if it is SIM free or locked to a carrier, but you could likely net at least $375 for it after fees/shipping if it is in good condition by selling it on swappa.

Or wait for next year and trade it in for the iPhone 8.

Last edited:

powerocool

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I use a spare iPhone 6S with the DJI OSMO Mobile as a nice video steady cam. The 6S shoots great videos.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
So I have a spare iPhone 6S 64GB and I'm not sure what to do with it.

If it is unlocked, get "free" service for it from Ring Plus or FreedomPop. I currently use my iPhone 5 on FreedomPop. It's great.

Retops

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Oklahoma
I use mine for those times I don't want to carry a larger phone by just swapping the SIM card. Also as a wi-fi device for occasional streaming.

Beenblacklisted

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Miami,Fl
Correct, 2 SIM cards can't be active on the same line at the same time. But you can use your current SIM card in the iP6s whenever you want.

Keep it as a backup phone. Then next year, trade it in to get the iPhone 8. Hopefully there will be some good trade in deals at launch like there were this year.

What carrier are you on?
[doublepost=1479712972][/doublepost]If you are on the US, the other thing you could do is get an AT&T SIM from an Apple store for free. Then get it activated on GoPhone by calling them and don't fund a plan. Then fund the account with $100 selecting the $2/day plan. If you fund it with $100 at one time or buy a $100 refill card to fund it, the money doesn't expire for 1 year. You can often find the $100 refill cards for $90 online.

Anyhow the $2/day GoPhone plan gives you unlimited talk and text each day you use it. No data unless you buy data and you can buy it for $1/MB. You only get charged the $2/day if you make or receive a call/text in a day. Works as a spare/emergency phone to keep in your car. I don't think $100/yr is too much to pay for a spare/emergency phone.
[doublepost=1479713200][/doublepost]I don't know what condition it is in or if it is SIM free or locked to a carrier, but you could likely net at least $375 for it after fees/shipping if it is in good condition by selling it on swappa.

Or wait for next year and trade it in for the iPhone 8.
next year is iphone 7s , the iphone 8 is still two years away

Reactions: RedOrchestra
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.