Ideas of what to do with a 1,1?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by stanw, Nov 19, 2013.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

I have a Macpro 1,1 and I’m getting a new iMac. I'm looking for any ideas of what I might be able to do with the Mac Pro. I don't think it's worth much. Is the case of any value? the Parts?

I thought about making it a image/video server, though it is always too loud and seems to run too hot to put it into a closet and hide it like I would want as a server.

Any thoughts/suggestions.

Thanks.

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Maybe try selling it or trading it for an iPad?

3. Mac Write macrumors member

How about giving it a thorough cleaning inside out. get the dust out of those fans etc. should help the noise level.

4. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Hi Stanw. If you plan to try to sell your Mac Pro, try to clean the inside so it's polished and more presentable during the sale. If you're unable to sell this, it can be a backup machine to your new iMac. Or if you have kids, they can use the Mac Pro for their school researches and homeworks.

5. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

It's certainly not loud. Mine is sitting on the desk and I can barely hear it. The only time I hear anything is when gaming and the 5770 and chassis fans spin faster. Idling it's very quiet.

It does run hot especially my 3.0Ghz model. It also is a power hog. I wouldn't put it in a closet. I wouldn't use it as a file server. It's overkill.

I'd try and sell it and get a mini to do file serving. That is quiet, can be stored anywhere and won't consume too much power.

Depending on your setup, you can still get something out of it. Mine is quite useable with quad 3.0 Xeons, 12GB ram, ATI5770, and SSD. Mavericks runs fine on it. It will retire in 2015. That's an impressive lifespan for a computer.

6. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

The Mac Pro is built to act as a workstation, and you can make quite a nice high performance/availability server out of it as well. Except for these uses, the machine is decidedly suboptimal.

I admit, the MP has a higher sound profile (on idle) than an iMac, but my experience (going from a late 2009 iMac to a late 2008 Mac Pro), the iMac's noise under stress is louder and (thanks prob'ly to the smaller fans) more annoying. In any case: I also recommend cleaning the machine.

RGDS,