ideas on how i can do a site like this(with php,mysql)

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Anarchy99, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

i want to make a site where i ( the admin) can login upload a picture or something tag it for a client
    then i have a client login
    it then brings up a auto generated table listing all the projects they are involved with
    when they click on link in the table it will open a auto generated page where they can download the proof file i attach and this page will also have a comment box where they can comment on it and a approve or disprove button
    also i want the comments and apovel info auto emailed to me

would this be a doable project? easy?
    im still learning php and mysql

any help tutorials to point me in the right direction at appreciated

2. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

For someone who knows PHP and MySQL it would be a fairly straightforward project, but if you're just learning you might find it to be a bit much. Get a good PHP book and sign up for the forums on www.sitepoint.com. They have a good PHP forum with lots of people who are willing to help when you run into issues.
    Good luck!

3. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

I wouldn't try to build something like that from the ground up but go with a content management system like a wiki or a joomla site. That takes care of the login and rights management framework and you can just hand out access to personalise stuff. They should pretty much do what you want already but they're also very easy to customise if you need additional functions.

4. Anarchy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok so far tonight ive got a login page that works
    on the success page i want it to display parts of a table where the username that was used to login is in the username column
    everything ive tried hasnt worked so far the code im working with outputs this
    "Login Successful
    Welome, Wally.
    Query to show fields from table failed"

without the where clause it prints the whole table but to me it looks like that where should work
    can anyone help?

EDIT FIXED ISSUE :)

5. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

Well, unless you have a huge desire to build it all yourself, why not use a PHP framework like CodeIgniter... or, as suggested, a open-source CMS?

6. Anarchy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

i figure i wont learn if i use a CMS or atleast il learn more if i do it from scratch
    for complex things in the future i wont hesitate to do it the easier way
    that being said what is a PHP framework like CodeIgniter? what are the benifits? i might you it

thanks