Ideas on how to get a $40 iPhone plan

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tzp2, Feb 7, 2010.

1. tzp2 macrumors newbie

For many the idea of a $40 iPhone plan is very attractive. With the introduction of the iPad data plans it seems like the very idea is within reach. I've been brainstorming for a few days on how to make this a reality. My ultimate desire is to come back to the states, I'm in Medical school in the Carribean, and purchase only a data plan to use on an iPhone 3G rather than signing a contract.

In the past people have purchased T-Mobile data plans but they're only Edge. I'm hoping that somehow I can use the iPad's 3G AT&T Unlimited plan on the iPhone to make VOIP calls using Skype or some other service and then replace texting with one of those applications on the app store. This way I'm paying minimal amounts to use an iPhone in the US.

However there are a few issues that I'm unsure of and would like some advice on. First off the iPad uses Micro Sims rather than Mini Sims. Though they have the same Pin configuration the size difference would necessitate an adapter of sorts right? Are there any other issues with just putting a micro sim inside an iPhone. My other question is would the iPhone be able to use the plan with jailbreaking and would it be necessary to 'trick' the network into thinking it's an iPad before having access to data?

I know some of these things may not be able to be answered now, w/out iPads out in the wild. But was hoping to get some advice on when or if this is possible.

Dream iPhone plan:
    $30 AT&T unlimited Data
    $2 Skype USA Calling
    $5 Skype Phone number

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    The micro sim card will be able to be used in the iPhone on July 15th, 2010.
    Seriously? There is no way we can even guess this. The product isn't even out yet…

3. tzp2 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol, you mean when they release the new iPhone? ;) I'm hoping to use it in something that isn't the new iPhone.

4. leons macrumors 6502

I'm doing it now! AT&T data plan only, Skype Unlimited In/Out is my ONLY phone service! ;-)

5. tzp2 thread starter macrumors newbie

@leons: Did you have to do anything special with AT&T to get them to sell you just a data plan? I was under the impression they imposed a mandatory voice plan.

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

It'd be nice if you actually explained how you did that.

7. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

yes...please let us know how to only have a data plan!

and explain how to use skype for voip...cuz i always go over my minutes!

8. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

9. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

10. leons macrumors 6502

not so complicated! Blackberry data only plan on Iphone! ;-)

11. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

$30 AT&T unlimited Data

+ Google voice

= Done

12. techwarrior macrumors 6502

techwarrior

Huh? GV requires a phone behind the scenes. There are some SIP phones that work with GV, but you don't mention them. GV is not a VoIP app, rather it is merely a dialer app on steroids.

13. tzp2 thread starter macrumors newbie

This comment sent me for a loop too. I didn't think Google was going to give me free VOIP calling in the states! lol. However I've been testing backgrounding Skype all day and other than some slower app response time things look good.

For Skype it's 2 for unlimited US calling and 15 for a number for three months. I'll take that over AT&T any day! Now hopefully I can get a data plan. I'm not going to do the deaf thing but I will try the Blackberry path.

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I have that (yes I'm deaf), but they force you to get a unlimited text plan (an additional $20) along with the data-only plan. You can't just get the data-only plan.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What?
    I cant hear you :D

16. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Can you hear me now? ...Good! :D

17. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

most of you are probably thinking, "what? skype only works on wifi?", no...he is probably jailbroken, using 3g unrestrictor. =D and thats how he can use skype on 3g.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I thought Skype and also Sling got the OK from AT&T to upgrade their apps to work over 3G also.
    Not sure if they already released them on the appstore yet though.

That Verizon guy is so goofy :D

19. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

I don't know about a $40 plan with AT&T but I know a few people that use the iPhone with a T Mobile sim card, as their data plans are supposedly much more affordable.

20. TheEngineer macrumors member

No, I don't think any of us think Skype works only on WiFi. :cool:

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

More affordable but also slower since you cant use Tmobile 3G on an iphone. Only their 2G service is compatible.