Ideas on what to do with a Semi-Broken but still functional MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by qacjared, Jun 20, 2008.

1. qacjared macrumors regular

So alittle background. I switched in december of 2006 when I bought a Rev B. MacBook. It was a great machine except that I was a bad owner and decided one day to carry it open while it was running. I lost my balance and it the macbook crashed and landed on the top of the screen. Now of course that is accidental damage so it isnt covered by the warranty. It didn't matter at the time because for all you guys say the macbook is cheaply made it survived that crash fairly well. It never did close quite right ever again but it still worked very well for another 8 or so months before the plastic hinge mechanism finally snaped and it appeared impossible to close without breaking it. I bought a new macbook and just swapped the hard drive out of the old one etc etc etc. This left me with a old macbook that I can not close.

My old macbook is currently sitting in my basement hooked up to a ethernet cable being a slave machine that I use to convert movies. Im thinking that the power of the macbook (it is a core 2 after all) could be used for something else. Have any ideas?

(1) Under no circumstances can I ever close the lid if I still want the screen to work
    (2) Besides the macbook being permanently open it works just as it should. Just isnt much use as a laptop now. Glorified mac mini maybe?
    (3) I am not selling it
    (4) I am also going to college in august and have thought it would make a great Apple TV.
    (5) The Specs are 1.83 Ghz, 1 gb, and an 80 gig hd.
    (6) It has a almost completely clean copy of leopard on it.

Any ideas or suggestions on what this MacBook could be used for would be greatly welcomed.

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I'm sure you could pay to get the whole case replaced, hinges and all?

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You don't need two laptops in college. I speak from experience. Sell it for money on eBay before it further deprecates in value.

4. WillMak macrumors 6502a

Apple will repair and replace the broken parts on your macbook (except any LCD damage if you have any) for 280 plus tax. Not too bad of a deal

5. qacjared thread starter macrumors regular

And how do I go about doing that?

6. fixedbymike macrumors newbie

fixedbymike

Just take it up to an Apple Store and have a Genius look at it, they will set you up with the repair process.