Ideas please. iphone 5s -> 6s(7)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JM, Mar 20, 2016.

1. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

Hey there.

I have a 5s that I signed a two year agreement for this past September (your inane comments regarding this are not appreciated), and I realize now that getting a 4.7" device would be better for typing (for some reason the iOS keyboard is more accurate for me on a 4.7" device).

Since I'm on the 2 year contract, does anyone have any clever ideas of how I could get a 6 or something else without paying a lot of money? (please keep in mind the 2 year agreement with Sprint, and the desire to not have to spend a lot of money)

Thanks smart people

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

If you're willing to leave Sprint, yes. If not, no.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Are you sure it's a contract?

This is a common mistake among Sprint customers, especially those who are not on older (Everything Data, My Way, All In) plans.

If you are in a lease then you have agreed to pay Sprint back for the phone and you are NOT in contract for your service.

If that is the case then your only option is to turn the phone in and pay any remaining payments.

But if you are SURE it's a contract you are in then your only options are to buy a new phone while keeping the old active.

I strongly suspect you are in a lease however because your question is specifically about your device and does not mention the service you have with Sprint.

If you were in a contract the monthly payments you make to Sprint would not change and you would not owe anything to Sprint regarding the previous phone as long as you keep it active - thus avoiding ETF. A contract (versus a lease or Easy Pay) subsidizes the cost of the phone in the total monthly cost to Sprint. Hence ETF if you leave or disconnect the phone.

One of the reasons Sprint stopped pushing contracts. Your agreement with them in a lease concerns the phone only and not the service.

4. JM thread starter macrumors 6502a

JM

Thank you :) Appreciate the responses.

I am in an older family plan so I would have to pay the ETF. LEAVING Sprint poses an interesting idea as every other carrier offers the "we'll pay off up to $650" deals to switch. Guess there's only moving up from Sprint, eh? :D

Thanks again

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yes, getting another carrier to pay off your ETF is where I was headed with that. Best of luck.