Ideas to remedy the Macbook Pro sharp edges...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by operalover84, Sep 18, 2009.

1. operalover84 macrumors newbie

I just bought a new MacBook Pro 15" a few days ago. I am completely in love with just about every aspect of it except for one pesky thing -- the edges of the aluminum unibody are ridiculously sharp and dig into my wrists after prolonged use. I seriously don't know how this feature ever got passed Apple's design team and the user test trials. Anyway, I've seen some similar posts about this but no one seems to give any good solutions. My question is - does anyone know of any good accessory products (wrist rests, etc...) that would remedy this? The ones I've seen just seem to be palm rest protectors and don't address the actual edges of the computer. Or, does anyone have any ideas for home remedies? I thought of maybe buying some moleskin or foam and applying it over the edge but that would prove to be quite unsightly I'm sure. Any ideas...?

Thanks!

2. 7even macrumors 6502a

Where do you use it? At a desk you could get a wrist rest thing; on your lap you could try holding your wrists higher when you type...

3. Ryken macrumors newbie

I hate to say it, but you'll just get used to it and end up changing how you rest your hands on the machine.

This drove me crazy at first as well, but now I don't notice it all because I've adapted. I log about 3-5 hours a day typing on my machine, and I had forgot about this issue until I read your post.

You could try a wrist rest if you are at the same desk all the time, but if you give it some time, you'll adjust to the design.

This is just a case of form over function. I'm sure it came up in the design, but Apple probably just decided that the look would be ruined if they went to a contoured "edge."

4. phineas macrumors regular

phineas

Yea, buy a wireless keyboard and monitor and use it as a desktop.

You have a Computer that is a work of art and the edges bother you? Huh

5. operalover84 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, i mean, i'm going to try to use the keyboard in an ergonomically correct way. i was just wondering if anyone has ideas for covering the sharp edge in a creative (non-unsightly) way...?

6. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

7. operalover84 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks everyone.

yeah when using it at a desk, i will most certainly use a gel wrist pad.

i really don't want to have to get extra keyboard/mouse accessories, so i think that's out.

it's good to hear that ppl get used to it after a while. it might just be something i have to endure for a while.

8. operalover84 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Well your typing incorrectly. So do it right and youll have fixed the problem. [​IMG]

10. phineas macrumors regular

phineas

Well there ya go, now that the OP can see how his hands should be the problem is solved, and you didnt have to spend a dime.

CIAO

11. Eshyn macrumors member

12. faragher6 macrumors newbie

thats not emo at all!;)

13. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Try gloves.;)

14. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

Never, I HEAVILY use my MBP and it can get pretty hot, but it's never melted the case.

15. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I would look for a more ergonomic way to use your computer. If your resting your wrist on the front like that it make me think you are not positioning your hands correctly. Sharp edges now and sore wrists later.

16. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Get some Nike tennis wristbands. Bam!! Problem solved.

17. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

another vote for the Speck Satin hardshell case. It will soften those front edges a bit but is a great case worth having in itself.

18. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

19. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

you could also use a sander :)

20. klee1987 macrumors regular

try a moshi palmguard.

When I first got my 13 MBP i found the edges were very very sharp - so i applied a palmguard on the palm rest, works great!

21. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Well back when I used to have the plastic macbook (also had sharp edges) eventually I just got used to it...if my wrist was hurting and being marked by the edge I would just move the wrist a bit more and wait for the other part to rest before I had to change again. It was really annoying at first but you really get used to it. Otherwise like a poster above said, a tennis wristband shoudl do the trick!

22. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

That hand postion (top right) cannot be correct - try holding your forearms parallel - you squeeze your shoulders. If you maintain 90degree elbows then even I, with my thin 28" waist, am unable to create the supposedly correct forearm angle. I think that graphic is BS

My recommendations:
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/images/features/2003/04-08ergo.jpg

(ignore that it's MS for a second - Ive seen the same recommendations on lots of sites)

and
    http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000938.html

Im looking into a MBP myself - the sharp edges are annoying, but if you adjust chair height then it should be ok (still no reason that Apple did it, apart from aesthetics)

23. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

...that's why all of the ones on the right are labeled 'wrong'.

24. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

Maybe he meant top RIGHT! (i.e. the correct (right) one in the top half). ;)

Because when I first saw the diagram I had the exact same thought he had - to have the correct posture as the top section means I'd have to squeeze my elbows together and that can't be RIGHT!