iDefrag

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SavageMac, Dec 15, 2007.

1. SavageMac macrumors member

2. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

3. iTim314 macrumors 6502

OS X has a built in optimization utility that runs, for example, every time you install new software or updates.

It is also far better than trying to use every nook and cranny on the disk as seldom as possible.

Unless you work frequently with large files (such as HD Movie files) or your disk has less than 10% remaining space, you don't need a utility like iDefrag.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Cue the long list of people who will claim that OS X doesn't need a defragment tool. But, unless they changed something with Leopard, it does.

I have never used iDefrag personally as I use Drive Genius for these purposes.

I have found that it is only really needed about once a year. But I suppose I tend to thrash through data on my drive (not as much as video pros though)

5. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Ahhh, Apple must be lying then, aye guv'nor?

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Case in point: Error dialog box when trying to install bootcamp

[​IMG]

This error is due to fragementation on the drive. You can get around this by defraging the drive (and I have done)

7. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

If defragging isn't done right, you'll hose your disk. Thanks to glorious HFS+. That's why they say to avoid it.

8. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I have found that cloning your hard drive, wiping the original and restoring it with with your clone is much faster than defragmenting.

9. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

The issue is confusing and full of conflicting opinions. But OS X does do a great job of defragging. The error message that xUKHCx points out is very real and it happens a lot with Windows partitions, but it really is an optimization problem. The files in OS X are defragged, but they aren't organized in any sort of order. Optimization is where all of your fonts, apps, libraries, etc are all nice and neat. When a drive has defragged files scattered around, that drive may need to be optimized in order to make a Boot Camp Windows partition.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No. Misunderstanding. No. Defragging will not hose your Mac and Apple doesn't say that it will. What Apple says is that MacOS X hard drive logical memory map is different from the physical memory map. For this reason, defragging can reduce your hard drive's performance, but that is not the same as hosing your drive. HFS+ has been around since MacOS 8.1. I have never found a measurable benefit to defragging either HFS or HFS+ drives. However, the reasons to avoid defragging MacOS X drives relate to MacOS X, not specifically to HFS+. That MacOS X drives generally do not need defragging is a good thing. With the advent of HFS+ Journaled, MacOS X hard drives require virtually no maintenance at all. That is a great thing.

11. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I never owned a pc and have had Macs for the past 13 years and I have never defragged and not ever had any issues.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I feel the need to note that when you see "optimizing" during an install, it has nothing to do with defraging and everything to do with prebinding and the running of post-installation scripts by the installer.

I think the more correct thing to say in this instance is that the error message is due to a lack of available contiguous space on the drive. Some of this may be attributed to fragmentation, but a disk's data could be well orgranized (meaning, the data's blocks are contiguous or neigh-contiguous) but spread over the disk in such a way that BC doesn't have enough contiguous space to works it's partitioning magic.

13. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Yes. CNIDs. If the data on the disk gets moved around and the CNIDs don't get updated, that's what I'm discussing when I say hosing your disk.

14. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Anyone got a Leopard Defragmenter yet?? I'm getting this error and its bloody annoying and I am not re-installing the OS as thats a Windows thing which I want to get away from.

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Use a cloner to clone a backup and then clone it back. Done. No reinstall necessary.