Identical Macs - Home and Office ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by avamiser, Apr 24, 2011.

1. avamiser macrumors newbie

Is there a way to have contents (home folder, applications, settings, preferences etc) of my Macs (one in the office and one at home) have any exact content.

So I can leave my MacBookPro at work but at home pick up on where I left off on my MacBook? - have access to all the same apps and settings.

My only guess is to SuperDuper the drive once I have the final HD and keep adding on both as I add apps/content along to both.

Thanks.

2. iamvexed macrumors member

I had this same issue, and decided that I didn't need to have the computers the same, since it was only certain files I'd really need the same. So I got dropbox which has worked famously.

Had I needed more synced, I'd have gone with Chronosync, which has been reviewed pretty decently.

I hope that helps!

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I'm a heavy Chronosync user but I carry my MacBook back and forth and synchronize them on the same LAN (at home in my case). Synchronizing them at different locations requires getting through routers and firewalls and needs something like VPN or Yazsoft's Sharetool. Synchronization is an action you must remember to perform before switching from one system to the other.

If Dropbox works for you then it is a much slicker approach. You can use shortcuts (also known as aliases or soft links) to make it appear that various folders in your Dropbox are located at various spots on your drive. Downside to Dropbox is it can cost money if you can't keep below the free limit, and apparently there are security issues with the service since they store your files on their site.

4. avamiser thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks...

Thanks for the great ideas ... I like the idea of using Chronosync to sync both machines on the same network ... might give that a shot. Currently using Dropbox as a usb drive replacement.