Identify RAM slots in G5?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bobreborn, Aug 31, 2014.

1. bobreborn macrumors member

I've got 6 sticks in there but it's only registering the 2 in Slots 0 and 1. Where does it start counting from? The bottom? Are there any other reasons besides hardwawre problems that would cause this (all the same speed and 256MB sticks).

Thought I'd ask before I start wasting time pluggin and unplugging sticks =/

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

If you look at a G5, you will see two separate "banks" of memory. Depending on the specific variant you have, each bank will have either two or four slots.

The lowest numbered slots are the two inner most slots-i.e. the slots on the bottom bank and the top bank that are closest to each other. When adding ram, you fill outward from the center, adding one stick from each pair per bank(although I'm not exactly sure how the slots are numbered past there).

By the way, I'm guessing from your stated capacity that your system has 8 slots and that you're using 1gb sticks. Most references will tell you to only use "low density" RAM in the G5. My experience is that the system will not recognize high density sticks.