identify rating

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Tech198, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Has anyone had a problem with rating system in Identify ?

The rating seems to be a bit screwy.

For example. all 3 movies of Lord of the Rings.. The last two they are rated Action and adventure. while the first one is rated Sci Fi

I know you can adjust this. But would you think that i all are the same (eg like Harry potter). wouldn't all of then be in the same category ?

This also apples to the classification as well..... maybe its just I'm in Australia, but movies classified as PG is actually not PG at all, or their are ratings that don't apply in certain countries.

Would this mix-up be due to the fact its sourcing the the tags in whole from different servers. ? Rather than say getting them all from IMDB ?

btw.. I've seen other apps that its against IMDB's policy to pull from them... I think i read that from MetaX somewhere, but yet Identify looks like "word for word" from IMDB ..

I know identity uses other sources than IMDB, but it must also source them as if you enter the IMDB tag identify tags the move with and enter it directly into their search, you will get what you've just tagged.

2. peterjcat macrumors 6502

iDentify doesn't use IMDb data. It uses TheTVDB, TMDb and tagChimp, and these sites use the IMDb number as a convenient identifier. They are all user-created databases so there can be inconsistencies especially in genres. IMDb data is also largely user-created so there can be some overlap in descriptions etc, but that's not iDentify's doing. And it will use the US ratings which are often different from other countries. You can change individual ratings manually within iDentify but there doesn't seem to be a way to choose other ratings automatically.