Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jorawesome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2017

How to identify the keyboard layout? And how does this machine sit in the supply chain? I can see it's a 'renewed' machine from the N in the serial number, but where does the Z stands for in the part number?

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
The part number does not describe the keyboard layout especially if it is customized. Sometimes you can infer which area / country the SKU is sold in but in this case it is clearly a built-to-order. I am positive that all BTO order through the Apple Business channel starts with Z.

But the whole string of the MacBook specs actually gave you what you wanted:
MBP 14.2 SG/10C CPU/16C GPU/32GB/1TB/KB-D/ZEE

KB-D is quite likely to be "keyboard - Deutsch", so German layout
ZEE; I am still struggling to guess where this is, this part is usually the country where it was sold in / sold to. (if it was Germany, the code should be DEU)

Reactions: adrianlondon

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Not sure how to decipher it but to add some data, this was the imprint on an Intel MBP sold in Germany with a German keyboard. I returned it unopened so I cannot vouch for it.
/KB-Z/DEU
IMG_0079.jpeg

EDIT: The MacBooks I own did not have the two identifiers at all. Despite having a German keyboard layout.

Last edited:
Reactions: jorawesome

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
D could also be Danish or Dutch. The ZEE and ZEU are the mysteries. Assuming the keyboard is German, maybe there are sub variants for German in Germany and another for Switzerland?

jorawesome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2017
Not sure how to decipher it but to add some data, my last Intel MBP bought in Germany with a German keyboard ends with:
/KB-Z/DEU
View attachment 2320805

EDIT: I just remembered, this was from a damaged MBP I returned unopened so I cannot vouch it actually had a German layout. I will update the correct letter shortly.
You are right. After opening the box I saw this layout:

HUWuVd9.jpg

jorawesome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2017
If there is no indicator in sight, then it is US English I believe.

Could be but this was a bit of a rhetorical question because in the middle it says:

IMG_3863.jpeg

That's a clear indication that it has a French keyboard, right?

I think Apple is making it very hard for users to spot the keyboard layout... It should be clearly indicated in my opinion.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Could be but this was a bit of a rhetorical question because in the middle it says:

View attachment 2320851

That's a clear indication that it has a French keyboard, right?

I think Apple is making it very hard for users to spot the keyboard layout... It should be clearly indicated in my opinion.
LOL if you told us before hand. Not complaining, I feel like playing a game of riddle now.

Searching the terms "MGN73FN/A" and "france" together, the 1st result being a webshop selling this specific SKU, down in the list it says
Norme de clavier: AZERTY
AZERTY is the French default keyboard layout

The bottom half of those text are I think in Dutch? The first country that I think this version belongs to is Netherlands, but perhaps it could be Belgium?

• Haha
Reactions: Populus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.