Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Original poster
I've had a bucket of water outside for my dog. He stays indoors but sometimes is outside with me, and I put it out there in case I ever forgot him outside in our yard. Anyhow, I came across this insect in it several days ago. I saw it floating there and thought it was dead. Then today--several days later--I noticed it was swimming in the water (well not swimming, but moving a bit). I am squeemish about these things so I got my sister to take it out with a broom and amazingly it walked around on the ground as if nothing had happened. We debated about whether to kill it or not. Both of us are vegetarians and don't like killing things. But we were worried it might be a cockroach which I guess have diseases. The reason to be concerned is that this water bucket was right next to the door of our house. We eventually decided to sweep it into the grass.

FYI: it was in total about two inches long, maybe a little more.

For future reference, does anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• IMG_1083_2.JPG
    IMG_1083_2.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 176

dodong

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2007
Looks like a cockroach to me. I don't think cockroaches have diseases. Flies and mosquitoes are the ones to watch out for.

If it is a beetle or a bug, I think they are safe.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I would say it's definitely not a roach. Roaches are pretty distinctive.

It's just some sort of beetle, not to worry. No need to kill it if you don't want to. We have many beetles around here that look like that; they come out in the summertime.

This is a roach:
American-cockroach.jpg

blueicedj

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2007
it looks a lot to me like a California hissing beetle, should be harmless. What sounds does it make?

Joshua8o8

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Honolulu, Hawai'i
Looks like a cockroach to me. I don't think cockroaches have diseases. Flies and mosquitoes are the ones to watch out for.

If it is a beetle or a bug, I think they are safe.

are you kidding be? cockroaches are loaded with diseases... i think? They must have diseases, they eat doo-doo! i would say there up there with flies and mosquitoes. Im glad i live in hawaii, i have never seen a two inch beetle here, and im glad there are no real snakes here as well, and bears, and crocodiles & alligators, but we do have sharks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.