Identifying a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iZac, May 21, 2008.

1. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

OK, i have (as often is my way) a stupid question for you guys.

Im looking to replace my 2.66 with a reduced price display model mac pro ive scoped in a shop. They havnt got it plugged in, and is labeled as "quad core 2.8 ghz mac pro" but priced as the two processor'ed octo core 2.8 . Im not sure if the price is wrong or the labeling is wrong.

Question Time:

I opened the box and it has two heat sinks, would that suggest its the octo core, or does the single processor have two heat sinks also?

In any case, i might pop in the shop tomorrow and ask them to set it up. Shame i cant afford it until pay day ...

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If they won't turn it on for you to see the Apple System Profiler, walk away. They'd be hiding something if they didn't let you turn it on.

3. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

Is it an authorized Mac dealer? If so then I doubt they would mind turning it on for you.

But as Tallest Skill said, there is definitely something fishy going on if they aren't turning it on for you. Better safe then sorry..

4. iZac thread starter macrumors 68000

iZac

Good advice, though the shop is pretty reputable. Its just they are clearing stock for a move. I didnt actually ask them to turn it on yet, :p Id definitely give it a test run before purchasing. its reduced a lot, but if its just a single processor version, i might as well continue to run my 2.66 into the ground.

Im just curious which version it is, before i start poking around, asking them to set it up, since it might be reduced further.

*edit* its sitting in a dusty corner, because all its macbook pro brethren have already been sold!

5. GotPro macrumors 6502

Simply get them to turn it on, and look at the system profiler.

Apple menu, about this mac, more info.

It's the holy grail of identification.