Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

runlos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2014
Just cleaned up a A1286 mbp mid2010 from a spilled cup of tea. The machine works except the keyboard+power. have tested two different keyboards, same issue, i figure it must be the logic board. So i cleaned it up real nice, but found a chip near the keyboard connection socket which looked like it had som residue covering it. After i had removed the residue, the chip looked like it was missing a pin. On this pics from ifixit the chip has all pins, on my LB ones is missing. i have marked which pin is missing. see pic

Does anybody know what the chip do or controlls? Is there somewhere i can get a datasheet of the LBs architecture?

Attachments

• mbp2010.jpg
    mbp2010.jpg
    709.3 KB · Views: 692

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
You will find it hard get the LBA datasheets - these are Apple proprietary and not generally available. They can be found, but Apple tends to track them down and have them deleted.

runlos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2014
Spilling tea on it won't remove a pin from a chip...

well, the tea didn't remove it, i did... sticky residue, probably sugar had stuck around the pins on the one side. it was corroded or rusted. had to remove it with plastic toothpick. now there's missing a pin.

I have now powered up the machine. now the keyboard works, except ctrl-key, left shift-key and the power-key. the power-key just shuts the machine down cold immediately, but won't power on the thing. I have to disconnect the battery and connect it and power again for it to start up...

----------

It is: SN74LVC1G10

do you know if this chip has anything to do with my ctrl-key, left shift-key and the power button not working?(power button will shut the machine down, not start it) i would assume so, but have no clue.

iphonerepair12

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2014
2evfdib.jpg

The pin which is broken is connected to the keyboard connector and to PP3V42_G3H. It is possible that this is the reason why your mac won't power on by using the keyboard button.

runlos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2014

The pin which is broken is connected to the keyboard connector and to PP3V42_G3H. It is possible that this is the reason why your mac won't power on by using the keyboard button.

I managed to solder a connecting pin back on the chip, and now the power button works, thumbs up!

But the left shift-key, opt-key and ctrl still doesn't respond. Do you know which pins on the keyboard connector are related to these keys?

edit: also f1 and f2 does not respond after the soldering..

Last edited:

iphonerepair12

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2014
If you are sure you are using an 100% working keyboard you can start checking the pins on U5725, U5726, U5727 and U5703. That are the IC's on top of the keyboard connector (U5703 is the one you already fixed). If you cannot find any missing or corroded pins on those components then also check U5701 it is on the left of the keyboard connector.

But the best thing to start with is to make sure you are using an good working keyboard, and clean the keyboard connector on the logicboard with 99% IPA.

I managed to solder a connecting pin back on the chip, and now the power button works, thumbs up!

But the left shift-key, opt-key and ctrl still doesn't respond. Do you know which pins on the keyboard connector are related to these keys?

Villydk

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2015

Hi, sorry for digging up an old thread, but I will ask before making my own. Have you fixed your problem? My power, left shift, ctrl,alt keys doesn't work as well, even when I replaced the keyboard. Any ideas/tips?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.