Identifying Fake Bose In Ear headphones

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iscripter, Apr 17, 2009.

1. iscripter macrumors member

iscripter

Here is a link to a video I made to help people identify fake Bose in ear headphones. I bought these on Amazon.com from a third party seller for $50. I was able to get my money back. I emailed a link to the video to Bose support and they said they definitely are fake headphones.

I guess sometimes if the deal sounds to good to be true it probably is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Ea6uZ-9rU

HTML:
    <object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N7Ea6uZ-9rU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N7Ea6uZ-9rU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Is there anything these days that isn't being copied and faked?

Amazing.

3. calvy macrumors 65816

Good to know. I have a set of these I need to sell. I'll make sure to post pictures that prove they are real so buyers can know.

4. mattym0310 macrumors newbie

I've recently purchased some 'Bose IE' Headphones off Amazon (described as Genuine Bose products) yet I'm not sure whether they are real or not. I have called Bose and they were very unhelpful, and basically said that they cannot help me. I have searched the internet and am still none the wiser as they seem to have some aspects of the 'real deal' eg;
    -good quality print on all documentation and box (including pictures)
    -Bose logo's on the leather case
    -blue writing for the 4digit number on the left earpiece
    -lined detail on the mesh of the 'phones rather than squared
    -the 'Bose' logo on the earpiece seems good quality and not just painted
    -quality of sound seems better than my Sennheiser CX300-2's

Yet there are also some things that don't seem authentic:
    -Firstly, the price (£30 off amazon market place)
    -Green writing on the box (supposed to be yellow??)
    -No serial number (that i can find)
    -White and black colour of the wire doesn't twist it is simply straight down the full length of cable

Link to photobucket album containing some pics: http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w62/mattym0310/BOSE/
    Thanks in advance!

5. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Those look real my friend. Did you buy them from amazon or third party? The dead give away is if you got a warranty card with a serial number. If you phone bose and they accept that code they are legit!!

6. dagored macrumors 65816

No, they look fake. The case for one and the plug, unless Bose changed it, is small and at a 45 degree angle.

The tip on the left IEM should be cut at an angle to the head of the monitor. I am looking at mine and comparing them.

I know mine are legit, or the Bose store I was in at Anne Arundel, Maryland, sold me fakes.

7. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502a

JonathanK81

I agree, I think it looks fake. The warranty card has your serial number on a sticker on the front. And yes the plug is a smaller thin plug at a 45* angle. Also the box, the picture of the woman looks a little faded out.

8. mattym0310 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. Yeah they were bought third party (from Amazon Marketplace). The reason I thought they may be real is because I thought the older style ones (version one and maybe even two??) both have a similar square plug, from what I've read. I dunno if i'm wrong though. :confused:

9. mattym0310 macrumors newbie

Just spoken to Bose on the phone again, and they said that the number on the Left ear-piece shows that the product was made in 2007 which would be correct for both wire colour and plug end size/shape. However, being a 4-digit number it is easy to copy and so I'll have to send them in to be able to tell for sure.

10. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

if the price is good to be true, it usually is

however if you paid a fair market value and got a fake, immediately ask for a refund and ship the item back