Identifying Replacement Keyboard 13 Inch Early 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JonnyAlpha, May 14, 2017.

1. JonnyAlpha macrumors regular

Hi;

I am trying to buy a replacement keyboard for a Macbook Pro 13" Early 2011.
    I have looked on eBay and cannot seem to find a keyboard for a 13 Inch Model only 17 Inch Models, would they fit?
    How do i find the A number?

Thanks

2. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Try searching for "macbook pro keyboard a1278" and you'll find a bunch of them.

3. MC6800 macrumors 6502

For the MBP's A number, it should be on the bottom, within that paragraph of fine-print text. Not sure if the keyboard is the same.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The keyboard on your MacBookPro is not a replaceable part. You may find some that were removed from MacBook Pros, but the original parts were one replaceable piece, sold as part of the top case.
    Original part number for that top case (including the keyboard) for an Early 2011, 13-inch MBPro is 661-5871
    Here's one site
    And another
    And, cheaper

5. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

I just searched "keyboard macbook pro 13" and found a lot.

That's not true.

I do it all the time.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Well, I provided accurate information, but my statement wasn't quite complete.
    To clarify: The keyboards in those MacBook Pros were not meant originally to be replaceable as a separate part. Apple only ever provided the keyboard pre-assembled in the top case.
    But, you are correct, with a bit of tinkering, the keyboard is easy to replace (once you get to it :D )

"A1278 keyboard" should give you closer to correct keyboard, as "keyboard macbook pro 13" means you have to wade through pre-unibody, and retina parts, when OP only needs the unibody style.
    Easy enough when you have searched through such items before, but can be pretty challenging for one with not-so-much experience.
    I try not to assume that someone else has the same experience level that I might have :)

7. JonnyAlpha thread starter macrumors regular

Ah yes I found the A1278 printed on the back - my eyse are not as good as they used to be :)
    --- Post Merged, May 15, 2017 ---
    Many thanks - I have replaced a keyboard on my 15 Inch Macbook Pro (Late 2008) and another 17 Inch Model - when the owner took it to the Apple Store (after spilling coffee on it) he was told by the kind folks there that it could not be replaced and he would need another Mac. On a second visit to a separate store he was told it would cost about £170 to replace it.

I bought a keyboard from eBay for about £15 and changed it myself. It is a trick job and basically you have to strip the whole thing down - I am assuming the 13 Inch Model is just as difficult!!