"Identities" in Keychain?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by jekyl, Jun 27, 2013.

1. jekyl macrumors 6502

jekyl

I've been using Lastpass for some time mainly because of two features. First, it's supported by both Apple and Windows devices. Second, Lastpass supports multiple "Identities", so my wife and I share a single account we can have separate sets of passwords for those accounts we don't share. If the new "cloud"ed Keychain supports multiple identities I could totally go with it and drop Lastpass, since I rarely use the PC anymore. Also, is there any kind of export/import route to move from Lastpass to Keychain?

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

You would both need Apple ID's , so I don't think you can share them.
    As far as importing/exporting you will have to contact the developer of Lastpass.

3. jekyl thread starter macrumors 6502

jekyl

So, no way to link two Keychain accounts together then?

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Nope, nor should they. The encryption and storage are based on iCloud, which needs a separate Apple ID.

5. Bear macrumors G3

Based on other threads about password keeper apps, people will continue using them.

People have data in them that won't go on the Keychain. This includes license keys.

You're at a friends house or at work and need to go to a website that doesn't work well on the iOS device you have with you. With a password keeper, you look up the website information.

What happens if you accidentally delete or modify a keychain entry?

And finally we've already entered the data in the password keeper, it won't take much to keep it updated.

This brings up the interesting question of will iOS 7 have a Keychain utility like there is in OS X?