Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iDevices, the company behind several HomeKit-enabled light switches and outlets, today announced the debut of its latest product, the Dimmer Switch. iDevices' new Dimmer Switch, like its wall switches, is an in-wall product designed to replace a traditional light switch.

The Dimmer Switch includes customizable dimming capabilities that can be controlled via the iDevices app, the Home app, or using Siri thanks to built-in HomeKit integration (for Echo users, it also has Alexa support). In-app dim range settings prevent low-level bulb flicker, and it remembers the last brightness state.

idevicesdimmer-800x624.jpg

It fits into any standard rocker faceplate to integrate with an existing lighting system with no extra wiring required, and it's installed like any standard wall switch with support for single pole, 3- and 4-way setups.

Along with serving as a way to dim lights, the Dimmer Switch features a built-in LED night light that keeps it well-lit in the dark, with users able to set the night light to any color.
"The iDevices Dimmer Switch enhances our extensive line of premium smart home solutions and brings us closer to our goal of creating products that seamlessly integrate into the walls of any home," says Chris Allen, iDevices President. "With Hubbell's long history in the electrical industry, and our expertise in the IoT marketplace, we have the combined strength to continue our evolution towards flexible, 'invisible' products that fit any home, new or old. The iDevices Dimmer Switch is one of many innovations to come, forever changing the smart home as we know it."
iDevices is selling the Dimmer Switch starting today for $99.95. It can be purchased from the iDevices website.

Article Link: iDevices Announces New HomeKit-Compatible Dimmer Switch

swissglide

macrumors member
May 9, 2010
Burlington, VT
Will iDevices promptly proceed to sell this product line to some big company that will then render them useless by releasing disastrous software updates? That's what happened with iGrill and Weber, 4.0 and 4.0.1 proudly sport 1 star average ratings after removing a bunch of features, neutering support for older thermometers and the series 0 watches, and otherwise ruining a well functioning app.

tarrant

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
$100?! Good luck with that. It looks like a re-branded Koogeek switch, which is a third the price on Amazon (and works great).

Does Koogeek have a dimmer switch? I didn't see one on their web site. I wouldn't mind a cheap one.

The iDevices hardware isn't cheap, but I've had good experiences with their outlet switches (and found some for roughly half the list price at Home Depot). These also support multi-pole (several switches for one light), which the Koogeek doesn't seem to.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Does Koogeek have a dimmer switch? I didn't see one on their web site. I wouldn't mind a cheap one.

The iDevices hardware isn't cheap, but I've had good experiences with their outlet switches (and found some for roughly half the list price at Home Depot). These also support multi-pole (several switches for one light), which the Koogeek doesn't seem to.

I see the variation now, on first glance it looks physically the same as the Koogeek. No Koogeek does not have that, but for the $60 difference (it's on sale every other week on Amazon), I just assume ask Siri "set xyz switch to 50%", which works fine for my Koogeek plus LED bulb.
There is also a 2-gang switch as well for a few dollars more. I have one of each and they have not given me any issues thus far.

suedehed

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2016
Merrick, NY

I don't believe KooGeek has the dimmer out yet. I use their 2-Gang switch for a specific set of lights I have for my yard, and its awesome. I use the Leviton switches and dimmers everywhere else because the KooGeek one requires their wall plate. The Leviton switches have been awesome (Im up to about 20 of them now) and they are about $42-$48 per switch. I can't see the value in these iDevices switches to pay almost double. Although, I am tempted to order one to review on my blog, maybe I'm wrong about what they offer for that much more money.

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
I'm still waiting for ceiling fan speed control.

I do use a couple of insteon fanlincs with the Insteon hub pro, it's ok..but not something i'd want to roll out for the 4 other ceiling fans in my home.

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Weird... why is everyone saying that Koogeek doesn't have a dimmer switch out? I see it listed on Amazon as being in stock, now and a few weeks ago when I ordered their 2-gang non-dimmer version. Is there something I'm missing?

That being said, I really don't understand why iDevices insist on pricing these switches at $100. 3-way capable Leviton switches (regular and dimmer) sell for half that, and indeed Koogeek ones are even cheaper. I have both Leviton and Koogeek switches at home and they work without issues.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I'm still waiting for ceiling fan speed control.

I do use a couple of insteon fanlincs with the Insteon hub pro, it's ok..but not something i'd want to roll out for the 4 other ceiling fans in my home.

I like the ceiling fan control with my Hunter HomeKit fans.

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
$100?! Good luck with that. It looks like a re-branded Koogeek switch, which is a third the price on Amazon (and works great).

Where are you seeing 1/3 the price? I can only find $43-$48. (I ask because I'd buy a few at $33.)

The Koogeeks also look like they're integrated with the faceplate (can you use a standard faceplate instead?).

That said, I'm not paying $99 for a smart switch. iDevices is as high as their pricing.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Does everyone here self-install their switches, or is it a techical job for an electrician?

Also, what happens if your wifi goes down? My wifi drops connection all the time, so using these type of things seems like it'd constantly annoy me.

tarrant

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
Weird... why is everyone saying that Koogeek doesn't have a dimmer switch out? Is there something I'm missing?

Speaking for myself, I thought that because their web site doesn't list it as a product. :) Perhaps they're just slow at updating it...

yanksphish

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2009
Does everyone here self-install their switches, or is it a techical job for an electrician?

Also, what happens if your wifi goes down? My wifi drops connection all the time, so using these type of things seems like it'd constantly annoy me.
I'm not an electrician, but I've installed a number of new switches in my house. It's very easy. You simply disconnect the wires from the old switch and connect them to the new one. Different switches will require different configurations but it's pretty basic stuff. Oh yeah, make sure the power is off on the panel so you don't shock yourself.

If your wifi goes out you won't be able to control the switch from your devices, but you can still use the switch just like you would any other switch. Wifi doesn't make the switch nonfunctional.

Reactions: jimthing
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.