Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iDevices today announced the launch of the latest product in its smart home lineup, the iDevices Instant Switch. The Instant Switch is a simple wireless wall switch that's designed to attach to a surface using adhesive, so there's no tricky installation required.

The Instant Switch, which was first announced at CES 2017, is designed to work with existing iDevices HomeKit products using a Bluetooth connection, providing an additional method of control. According to iDevices, the Instant Switch can be paired to a hard-wired iDevices Wall or Dimmer Switch to create a three or four-way control configuration, for example.

idevicesinstantswitch2-800x544.jpg

You can attach the Instant Switch to a wall or another surface using a 3M Command Strip, and it can be placed anywhere in the home. iDevices recommends using it in hard-to-reach locations, because no drilling or rewiring is required. A built-in user-replaceable battery is included, so power isn't needed.

idevicesinstantswitch-800x517.jpg

If you don't want to use adhesive, the Instant Switch can also be fitted to any standard rocker faceplate because it's been designed to mimic a permanently installed light switch.

The new iDevices Instant Switch can be purchased from the iDevices website or Amazon.com for $34.95 starting today.

Article Link: iDevices Launches HomeKit-Compatible Wireless 'Instant Switch'

VforVelveta

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I think this article needs to be clarified that the switch itself is not Homekit compatible. All it can do is control other iDevices stuff, e.g. it can't be used in Homekit automations to control other things and won't appear in the Home app.

If you want something like this that actually is HK compatible, I think the Logitech pop buttons are the closest thing to it.

klunernet

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2011
Hoorn, NL
I think it's a stretch to say it's Homekit compatible. It only works with other iDevice homekit devices over BT.

Not a stretch, it simply is not homekit compatible. Though in theory, it could be, provided you have an apple TV or homepod that is always on. ( My apple TV is cut off from power when not in use via a central switch to all the AV components ).

Reactions: t1meless1nf1n1t

VforVelveta

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Not a stretch, it simply is not homekit compatible. Though in theory, it could be, provided you have an apple TV or homepod that is always on. ( My apple TV is cut off from power when not in use via a central switch to all the AV components ).

That would only work if you have the switch and another iDevices product though. The switch itself can't be seen by the ATV/Homepod at all, so you'd have this crazy setup of the switch controlling an iDevices outlet, which then triggers an automation that then controls other Homekit stuff.

I was really disappointed when I found out this thing doesn't actually work with HK. It'd be near perfect for controlling HK stuff without having to resort to running neutral wires to switch boxes like you do with other in wall switches. I'd buy probably 3 or 4 of these if they worked with HK.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Hue Dimmer or Tap are a decent option for Homekit actions even if you don’t use Hue lights. Yes, you will need a Hue Hub, but even with that included it is a good value if you need more than 3 switches.
As for the need for an Apple TV/HomePod/ iDevice on your network. Well that’s HomeKit for you. Your end point device will have the same limitations as the switches.

Reactions: tzm41

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Too bad this does not support Z-Wave or ZigBee, could have been a fantastic looking device for some scene controls.

Reactions: RMo

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
It has a two year battery with one 2028 coin, but what sort of usage pattern is that based on?

ApP13Fan

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2017
Straight up is not HomeKit compatible. It only works with other iDevices products.

This product is pretty changed from the original announcement, which said it would include HomeKit support, and Amazon Alexa support. That is why they dropped the price $15 bucks.

Last edited:

tzm41

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2014
Sunnyvale
I think this article needs to be clarified that the switch itself is not Homekit compatible. All it can do is control other iDevices stuff, e.g. it can't be used in Homekit automations to control other things and won't appear in the Home app.

If you want something like this that actually is HK compatible, I think the Logitech pop buttons are the closest thing to it.

Or Philips Hue Tap.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Too bad it’s not actually HomeKit compatible. It could’ve gone a long way in replacing the discontinued Lutron Connected Bulb Remote for Hue light bulbs.

VforVelveta

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Or Elgato Eve Button
Or Philips Hue Dimmer Switch
Or Fibaro The Button

The options for actual HomeKit buttons is growing quickly.

They are, but I really wish someone would make something like the iDevices instant switch. I think something that can actually replace a light switch without having to run a neutral wire (for homes that don't have them anyway) like the current in wall solutions do would be really nice.

Reactions: vipergts2207

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
As mentioned above, this *ISN'T* HomeKit compatible, actually. Maybe, on a technicality.

But this, again (after the Twelve South iPhone case "total protection" on a case that has plenty of cutouts thing earlier this week) is an example of the practice of trying to pass off totally unvetted press releases from advertisers or companies in the ecosystem as actual "content" or "news".

It hurts MR's credibility. Please reconsider this practice, or at least label this as "THIS COMES STRAIGHT FROM THE MARKETING/PR AGENCY OF THIS COMPANY, AND IS ESSENTIALLY AN AD!" or something. This isn't actual content from MR, it's a repost of a press release/product release sheet. Gross.

tzm41

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2014
Sunnyvale
As mentioned above, this *ISN'T* HomeKit compatible, actually. Maybe, on a technicality.

But this, again (after the Twelve South iPhone case "total protection" on a case that has plenty of cutouts thing earlier this week) is an example of the practice of trying to pass off totally unvetted press releases from advertisers or companies in the ecosystem as actual "content" or "news".

It hurts MR's credibility. Please reconsider this practice, or at least label this as "THIS COMES STRAIGHT FROM THE MARKETING/PR AGENCY OF THIS COMPANY, AND IS ESSENTIALLY AN AD!" or something. This isn't actual content from MR, it's a repost of a press release/product release sheet. Gross.

If this comes straight from iDevices, they are committing false advertisement by saying it's HomeKit compatible.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
They are, but I really wish someone would make something like the iDevices instant switch. I think something that can actually replace a light switch without having to run a neutral wire (for homes that don't have them anyway) like the current in wall solutions do would be really nice.
The Philips Tap button doesn’t need wires or batteries; it uses piezoelectric generation.

Reactions: x-evil-x

VforVelveta

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
The Tap doesn’t physically replace a light switch, which I’m pretty sure is what he was getting at.

Correct, the instant switch shows that its actually able to be mounted inside of a switch gang box, as well as just being stuck to a wall wherever. The Hue dimmer switch, however, might fill this role, but that requires having the Hue hub whereas the instant switch can just use normal bluetooth.

The more I think about it the more I'm annoyed that iDevices didn't make this thing HK compatible when every other product in their lineup is :confused:

Reactions: vipergts2207

ApP13Fan

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2017
If this comes straight from iDevices, they are committing false advertisement by saying it's HomeKit compatible.
I don't think they are. The product page doesn't say HomeKit once, nor does their press release. They must have just pulled from their original post, back when it was supposed to support HomeKit.

Reactions: aristobrat

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Correct, the instant switch shows that its actually able to be mounted inside of a switch gang box, as well as just being stuck to a wall wherever. The Hue dimmer switch, however, might fill this role, but that requires having the Hue hub whereas the instant switch can just use normal bluetooth.

The more I think about it the more I'm annoyed that iDevices didn't make this thing HK compatible when every other product in their lineup is :confused:
The the flip side, the each Hue dimmer is relatively cheap. So even factoring the required hub, you’ll break even after a few switches. Personally I find the wired hub much better than BT since coverage is much further in my home WiFi. Additionally, if you have an Apple TV or HomePod you won’t even need to be on your home network to interact with your devices.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
It does? We use the Tap as our only light switch in our lounge.

Are you being intentionally obtuse? Of course you can slap one on the wall or keep it on a table and use it as a switch to turn on a light. However, the Tap does not fit into a gang box on the wall where a light switch is normally installed on the wall, which is the point he was making. Not a complex concept to understand really. :confused:

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
I've an electrician fixing things in a few weeks time, just questioning if installing 'smart' HK versions is worth the expense at this time...

Question:
Do any of the (UK compatible) wall dimmers/switches work independently of their network connection?

i.e. If my local area network fails, can you still manually turn things on/off with the switch (rather than an iOS device). Or are you basically stuffed, until you fix the network.

Last edited:

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I love my hue tap. not sure what this would do that that cant. no batteries also is nice. 4 programmable buttons and works with actual homexit app

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Question:
Do any of the (UK compatible) wall dimmers/switches work independently of their network connection?

i.e. If my local area network fails, can you still manually turn things on/off with the switch (rather than an iOS device). Or are you basically stuffed, until you fix the network.
All of the smart wall switches (that replace existing dumb switches) that I’ve seen (for any system, not just HomeKit) work fine manually, totally independently of the “smart” part.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.