iDevices to car radios

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bmorris, Jun 5, 2011.

1. bmorris macrumors 6502

bmorris

We have an iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad 2, and iPod Classic, with a '97 Toyota 4runner and '95 Toyota Camry. We have stock radios but also the option for a JVC SX-990 which accepts the JVC KS-u57 adapter, and an option for the Sony Xplod CDX-MP40 which has the optional XA-C30 adapter.

What is the most affordable cable(s) to be able to charge and play audio from iDevices to either radios? I would like to hardwire through the back of the radios and just have one Apple Dock Connector hanging out for the iDevices.

2. Aaron1021 macrumors member

I wouldn't buy anything Sony if car audio is involved. They used to make decent stuff, but their quality has gone downhill over the years. If it just comes down to those two choices I'd go with JVC, but I would look into some Alpine head units or pretty much anything else. Just my .02

3. icstars989 macrumors member

I agree with Aaron, Sony isn't quite what they used to be with car stereo's. I would definitely look into alpine, pioneer even a kenwood before I went JVC or Sony.

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Lots of garbaldy gook tech specs in that original post.

I would just get a radio that would take the STANDARD mini jack from the iphone, ipod into the radio.

5. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

I would also recommend (if you can find one) a Griffin AutoPilot...it connects to the Dock Connector and will charge iPods and iPhones (iPhones get the little 'incompatible' warning alert, but they work) and also carries line-level audio out through the Dock Connector to a 3.5mm jack on the charging 'bulb' - from there, you can run a cable to any stereo that has a 3.5mm auxiliary jack. It also has controls for Play/Pause and to skip tracks.

Personally, I like this setup, rather than a specific aftermarket add-on because if Apple were to ever change anything, you don't have to replace an add-on for your head unit. Also, it gives you some flexibility if you want to use the 3.5mm jack for something else while charging an iOS device. It does not work with charging the iPad though...

You can find them online for much cheaper than the $50 list price

6. JLemm macrumors regular

Go Alpine! Alpine is great for car audio! Their iphone/ipod adaptor will charge the device while in use!

7. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Installed wire thing that comes with some cars > Tape cassette adapter > any fm radio transmitter

8. bmorris thread starter macrumors 6502

bmorris

I do try to avoid Sony car audio. The JVC and Sony decks are just free for me. I don't want a simple adapter, I have tried those.

I'm trying to connect to the back of the deck to keep everything clean.

The cigarette lighter docks never are sturdy enough, I don't want one cable running for audio and one power, and FM and cassette adapters still have a lot of noise.

9. bmorris thread starter macrumors 6502

bmorris

I heard Alpine and JVC are made by same people. Not sure if that's true.

10. Fernandez21, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011

Fernandez21 macrumors 68040

Fernandez21

I use this:
    http://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-Re...KUM0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307317379&sr=8-1

[​IMG]

It's tucked in the dash behind my stereo and it wirelessly connects to my iPhone and iPad without any wire sticking out. You could also just get a stereo that has Bluetooth built in, which I would suggest if your getting a new stereo, but if you want to save some money, you could hook this up to your current stereo as long as it has an aux input.

Edit: just looked at the Sony and it has the aux input in the back like the stereo I'm using for my setup. I couldn't find any pictures of the back of the jvc unit, so I don't know if you could do that with it.

11. Annerz macrumors regular

I bought a griffin car charger that will play my iPhone through the radio but I don't like how it sounds, so much static. If you have a tape deck, I would go with a casette adapter.

12. bmorris thread starter macrumors 6502

bmorris

I thought about a bluetooth option but still need a charge.
    I'd rather just use one cable that sends sound and gets power.

Cassette adapters still have noise, gets old after awhile.

13. Fernandez21 macrumors 68040

Fernandez21

Then if that's the case, you're best bet is the composite cable set from apple with the Sony stereo. The red/white stereo cable will plug into the back of the Sony and you plug in the USB to the cigarette lighter. However you won't be able to watch video because the iPhone will think it's hooked up to a t.v. Not sure about the jvc because I couldn't find out if it has aux in the back, all I saw was the input in the front and those apple cables won't work for that.

I went through the same as you a couple months ago and to find an audio only cable with power is very difficult, I gave up and went the Bluetooth solution I showed you above, which I ended up liking better because if I want to charge the phone I still only have one cable (car charger).

Good luck!

14. JLemm macrumors regular

On my alpine, the cord plugs in he back and I have it ran to my glovebox so i never have to take my ipod out... since it charges it. runs the whole ipod through the headunit. the cord is like 6 feet long so if you needed to have it infront of you, you can. it also has bluetooth and syncs through the headunit!

15. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

16. brdwygurl macrumors regular

I use a cassette adapter in my old honda civic and it works great. I just wish there was a way to charge my phone at the same time.

17. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I'm looking for something with Rear USB and BT, so my iPhone charges and plays music out of the USB for best quality, but also has BT for hands free, and I think I've found it.

JVC KD-R811

Have to have a BT receiver plugged into the front but its tiny, then rear usb for the iPod cable. Seems the best method I can find.