IDIOT me and software

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CORRSA, Jan 8, 2009.

1. CORRSA macrumors newbie

right then i replaced the hdd in my cousins macbook pro and have reinstalled lepoard all went well what i wasn't aware of is on the external hdd he as left with some apps as he put it as a few folders of various software but everything is in .dmg file format so as im not a mac user i dont know how to install the software any advice would be welcomed. :eek:

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

a .dmg is like a pretend CD/floppy disk. (dmg = disk image)

if you double click a .dmg you will see it mounts in the finder (below the HDD on the desktop, and in the right pane of finder windows.)

open the disk image, then drag the application from the disk image, INTO the Applications folder.

the application will copy from the .dmg to the Applications folder. it's now installed.

you can then eject the .dmg from the desktop (drag to trash, command-e, or click the eject button in the left pane of the finder window that corresponds to the .dmg.)

a mounted .dmg looks something like this (on the desktop) -
    [​IMG]

and this (in the finder) -
    [​IMG]

3. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

oh and i should add, that sometimes when you open a .dmg, it may contain a .pkg file (looks like a box being opened,) or an Installer icon that looks like a HDD.

these files install a little differently, you have to run the .pkg or Installer file, and it will launch a more traditional (Windows like) installer program/wizard. you usually just have to click next/next/next etc, just make sure you choose to install the app onto the new HDD.

however the majority of OSX apps are drag and drop.

4. CORRSA thread starter macrumors newbie

WOW thanx for the speeeeedy reply vandoza when i get in from work im on the mac :D big thing for me is im starting to think of getting one my mind is like a sponge something new to learn now cheers all will b back soon

5. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

off topic but :
    Why was my post deleted ? It's a second time that something I write is deleted without any warnings :confused::confused:

Tex

6. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

was your post the "**************************" one?, it showed up in my subscription emails.

if it was deleted by a mod, at a guess i would say that it was because it was either -
    - not that helpful, or
    - sarcastic

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think mods are thinking these "Let me Google…" are offensive (which they kind of are).

8. Trip.Tucker Guest

Moderating posts is acceptable.
    Stealthy dropping of posts without notice or warning is insulting and disrespectful.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

While they can, indeed, be used in an offensive manner, you must admit... COME ON. SEARCH the Internet before you post! Then search the forums! It's in our rules!

If someone asks a question that I would have to break the "no one word posts" rule to answer, I'll ****** them. Otherwise I'll answer it and tell them to search.

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

We need a Let me MROOGLE search that for you. ;)

11. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

No it wasn't. It was an answer to it. It wasn't useful to the thread, I admit. But if the admins delete it they should at least warn me an tell me the reason. If not, their action is totally useless since I don;t know what I did wrong. And you can see that the result of their stealth deletion is quite the opposite of what they imagined: we are discussing this in someone else"s topic ....

Plus, I agree with Tallest Skil, the ""**************************"" isn't bad. It shows that it easy to Google for something PLUS it gave the answer to the OP: the 1st link of the posted google link was exactly what he was looking for.

No offence admins.

12. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

CORRSA: Not meaning any disrespect, but why would your cousin have you reinstall his/her system when you are not a mac user? Sounds risky to me.