Idiot proof way to email video from iPhoto

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Magrathea, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Magrathea macrumors regular

I need an idiot proof way to allow my mom to email a video from her digital camera. The video is HD photo jpg so pretty big / 100meg / min. Mom is probably never going to master more than a simple two step / two click process so it needs to be very easy. Locating the file in iphoto, then in finder and opening it in quicktime pro and then dicking around / converting it / is beyond her.

I sent her an automator script but I have SL and she has Leopard so it didn't work (she has quicktime pro). She also has iphoto 08 but I see that the latest version of iPhoto doesn't allow video export.

You might say this is why Youtube was invented BUT her DSL is capped out at 2 Gigs per months, bloody crappy African DSL! so she can't just upload the large file!

(Ok I have just tooled around with the Export > Slide Export feature on iPhoto 11, looks like this may be the answer but for the love of dog why is it called slideshow, bad steve!!)

2. xStep macrumors 68000

I don't know of an idiot proof method.

In iPhoto you can right click on a file, click 'Show File', right click on that result and use 'Open With'-->'Other...' and choose Mail.

The Export feature of iPhoto allows you to export Kind as Original. You could then drag that file into an e-mail you are creating.

You could connect to her via iChat, connect to her screen, and show her these methods.

DropBox is all the rage now days, perhaps that would be simpler if you set up a shared box.

3. elisedriver macrumors newbie

You do know that most Internet email servers will reject files that size ?

It used to be that anything over 2Mb - but the norm for file rejection is now between 8 and 12 Mb.

Also - if her DSL is capped at 2Gb per month - then it makes no difference between uploading or emailing - it's still within her cap. For speed I would seriously recommend that she FTP's to a location.