iDisk alternative

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by digitalpencil, Apr 21, 2008.

1. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

I'm basically trying to integrate my mac better with the outside world, i've setup mail to access my gmail account, which is awesome as I was using spam-ridden hotmail before, and am now looking for an alternative to .mac's iDisk, preferably one that would integrate with the finder.

I don't want to subscribe to .mac as it's quite expensive and I won't use most of the features, along with the fact that the web hosting doesn't support mysql/php/flashcomm. I would however love something like iDisk for light, integrated file storage.
    I've looked around and have come across gDisk which, utilizes left over space in your gmail account as remote storage but this crashes like nothing on earth and given the last version is 06, doesn't seem to be still under development

Anyone else use or know of a free remote storage solution similar to iDisk? As i said, one that integrates into the finder would be awesome but really i'm just after something that's relatively seamless, drag&drop files, create folders etc.

2. Mac In School macrumors 65816

You could always go with a cheap-ass Web hosting account, and use YummyFTP to drag/drop. You wouldn't drop to a disk, though. Instead, you drop to the Yummy dock icon.

3. Roseyboy macrumors member

Yesterday I installed ForkLift and it has a "droplet" creation tool which could act like a iDisk providing you have some ftp space.

See it in action on there Website or follow this link Here

Hope that helps, the best solution I can think of, I too wanted to use iDisk's storage feature without all the other extras, and short of finding a long guide on making your own iDisk server this is the best solution I have seen so far.

It's a lot cheaper than .mac too, I found it lurking on a HD after buying one of those download mac bundle deals, but there is a 15 day trial.

Good luck! :)

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Find yourself a cheap webhosting account that supports WebDAV - you'll be able to mount that as a drive on your desktop via the 'connect to server' dialog. (iDisk is basically just WebDAV anyhow).

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

What about how .mac allows you to have a copy of your iDisk synced with the local machine for offline use? I would think this could be achived by means of rsync or some type of GUI syncing program.

6. bensparrow macrumors newbie

http://www.box.net/

I use a service called Box, works well through a net browser but also works great through Finder > Connect to Server.. and its free! :)

7. digitalpencil thread starter macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

^^ Thanks guys, will look into each of those and decide which is best for me. :)

8. Totty macrumors member

Also might look into DropBox at getdropbox.com.

It supports Mac and Windows right now. Installation gives you a folder which is kept synced across all your computers and everything is available to you from any computer through a web interface. Not sure if the private beta is out or not yet, but if you look into it and think you'd like an invite, send me a PM.