iDisk app is totally lame!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ss957916, Aug 6, 2009.

1. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

I thought it'd be a great way to view docs from my mac on the go, but iDisk doesn't auto update! The files I can call up on my iPhone are now three weeks old instead of being the newer saved versions I've edited in the meantime.

This means that when on my mac I need to remember which files I have copied into my iDisk and then save it twice - once on my mac and again on iDisk!

Totally useless.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

iDisk is lame because it does not do something that you think it should do despite the fact that it does not claim to do that?

Name an app, between free and $10, that does exactly what you want it to do? AirShare doesn't and that is not FREE any longer.

Quite frankly, if you had MM even a day before the iDisk app was out and you used iDisk at all prior to it's launch, then you would know that not only does iDisk on your desktop NOT auto update, it also requires you to overwrite previous versions of whatever you're saving.

Now, I find your desires to be quite good really. If iDisk acted as Time Machine that would be rather nice. I bet they would charge for it though, despite the high dollar price tag on MM as is, but that's Apple.

Something cannot suck simply because you fail to understand how it works. If iDisk sucks it should be that the features it states it has have failed.

3. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

So you obviously didn't bother to read what the app actually does before you got it.

How is that the app's fault?

4. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's true - I read about it and ASSUMED it would allow me to view CURRENT files from my mac. The fact you need mobile me to use iDisk lead me to believe it would keep in sync (as that seems to be the main idea of MM - to keep contacts, calendars, email etc between mac and iPhone in sync).

And I wouldn't call iDisk free as I had to sign up to a £69 per year subsciptioN which, thankfully, is in it's trial period for me so I just won't continue with it.

Seems a shame.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Does the website say anywhere that you can do that?

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Why? It's called iDisk, not Mac Access? The name is a bit of a give away as to what it does.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

I downloaded the NYC subway map app and the stupid thing doesn't have the london tube - the NYC app is totally lame!

8. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

You can set up an iDisk volume on your Mac which will sync with the mystical cloud.

Then if you're kinda clever, you can change your Documents folder to be an alias pointing to the Documents folder on your local copy of the iDisk...

9. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Why not just save the files once on your iDisk? You can set your iDisk to sync with your Mac so you have a local copy.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

In all fairness, this sounds to me as tough you were seriously uninformed. Not because the basic features of each function of MM weren't clearly outlined in support docs on Apple's site, but because you just assumed that MM touts that it keeps you in sync basically (not their words), and you assumed that MM would auto update. This actually does not sound like the most outlandish reasoning.

I went to my MM sync preferences and clicked on iDisk.
    Picture 4.jpg
    I uploaded a test document and time stamped it. After it syncs for the first time (I had it off) then I'll report back and let you know.

I am actually almost thinking this does do what you want it to but I have to try it out first.

11. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not sure how the name is a giveaway - it's a disk on the Internet, that's all it gives!

Don't you think it SHOULD sync? I don't really see why having 10-20GB of straight online storage (rather than syncd storage) is worth it when I have File Magnet and a 32GB iPhone.

I just don't see how I'm supposed to remember what files I've put in iDisk in order to remember to save it in there too. I have a numbers doc that lists all my work (I'm self employed) which I update every two to three days and was hoping iDisk would keep updated too.

12. hamish5178 macrumors member

Just set a backup to copy that file to your idisk at a given time each day, it's not hard.

13. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

It DOES sync.

14. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The iDisk screen does say "keeps ...files in between mac and iphone in sync on an online cloud". That's why I thought it would keep my mac and iPhone in sync.

I've watched all the tutorial vids but it doesn't explicitly explain that part nor how to do it, so I ASSUMED it was automatic.

I'll be interested to see if it works for you. Maybe I've set something incorrectly.

And thanks for not immediately shooting me down like everyone else.

15. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The first few posters say not. So who's right?!

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Okay, I've tested this and it DOES sync. However, like any sync program I think you need to be saving your numbers document to the iDisk app from the beginning.

You see, if MM is set to sync it has to know what to sync. Do you honestly want it to sync your entire Documents folder? I certainly do not. There is so much junk in there it is stupid.

Now, I made a text document and saved straight to my iDisk folder. I did NOT need to be online when I did that. I set my preferences (ABOVE) to allow me to access that folder when I am not online. I turned off my wireless internet and went to work. I updated. Once I turned the network back on it automatically sync'd because I told it to automatically sync (see above). Therefore, the second it sync'd all of my changes were made!

I'm actually glad that you cried wolf because it just made iDisk much more appealing to me. So thanks.

But hopefully, and while I know it's not ideal, but hopefully this works for you. While it may be nice to see something so damn intuitive that it will know what document you have in your iDisk documents folder and find it automatically on your Mac and sync it that way, esentially creating an automatic copy from say your Documents folder (desktop) to your iDisk Documents folder, I don't think MM is there yet and I doubt it ever will be.

I'd like your thoughts on this now after you try it yourself.

Hey there tiger, I clearly went back and spent some time with this and revised what I was saying. So back up and once you weave through your poor attitude you'll find that as far as my responses go, they were far more helpful then your initial comment about something sucking because clearly you don't understand the app.

17. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I am. Though you may be confused as to how it works.

Turn on iDisk syncing in you MobileMe preferences on your Mac. This creates a local copy of your iDisk on your Mac. Any files that you save to the iDisk are synced with the cloud. Only files that you save to your iDisk and the subsequent changes to the files on the iDisk are synced. There is no need to keep a separate copy elsewhere on your Mac except as a backup.

18. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You are conceptually confused, my man.

The iDisk on your computer/MobileMe cloud iDisk/and iPhone iDisk App will sync. However, YOU must put stuff in one of the three places for it to show up in the other 2.

Just doing something on your computer, and not putting a copy into the iDisk on the computer will NOT show up anywhere else.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Now that I've tried it, yes that's correct. But I see what he is saying in terms of everything else. It would be a real nice thing to have if you essentially had a way to indicate doc by doc which would be in sync with iDisk instead of having to save it to the iDisk folder. It's a nice to have and in my opinion a good concept really, but for now, everything must be in the place the "cloud" knows to look if you want it in sync.

I for one am glad this came up because I never bothered to get into iDisk and now I can determine which is best for me, Air Share (which I own) or iDisk. Perhaps both will have separate purposes for me.

20. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats rich - try heeding your own advice!

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That's rich, look at the content that I posted and the time stamp to realize I may not have actually seen your response. Nevertheless, you've continued to be a complete jerk over the situation and all because you clearly don't know how to use something ergo, you deem it to suck. Your attitude was and still is poor. My comments stand.

Ah well, I'm glad I got to understand the app more and the fact that if something sucks it's because you can't work it. Two lessons learned today.

22. MichelleHartman macrumors newbie

Actually, I don't think it is lame! But I don't expect too much on it.