iDisk as a CDN?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by steveash, Apr 26, 2011.

1. steveash macrumors 6502

steveash

Just wondering if it would be effective to use iDisk as a small CDN (Content Delivery Network) for a website?

I have a website with fairly high traffic and am working to make it as fast as possible. One of the things I am considering is using a CDN for static files. My mostly vacant iDisk account popped into my head as a possible contender. I was wondering if anyone else had tried this?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

I vote RS.
    After amazon's latest flubs and being hacked w/ wikileaks, I'd be hesitant to rely on them right about now.

4. jtara macrumors 65816

A CDN isn't a web host or a cloud provider. It's a distributed network of computers that push-out content to the "edges" of the Internet, closer to users. It's appropriate for large web sites with large geographic appeal which also have a need for low-latency deliver of content to users.

Amazon does have a CDN product, but it's not included in the base S3 offering. S3 offers storage services in ONE of Amazon's data centers, but doesn't push-out content across their world-wide network.

To my knowledge, the other solutions offered aren't CDNs and don't offer a CDN product.

5. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

Agreed. The Amazon product you'd be looking at is "CloudFront", not "S3".

And Rackspace does offer a CDN now, but it's actually using Akamai for the CDN functionality. Akamai is the big corporate CDN player I've used. It's pricy, though.

http://www.akamai.com/

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Let's see, VPS offers origin pull caching on a few dozen locations around the world, including over a dozen in the US.

Surely that's not a CDN. :rolleyes:

Yes, Rackspace says it uses Akamai. So why shouldn't you use Akamai? Hint: Just try to find prices on Akamai. It's not for small companies.

Also, even if you select amazon cloudfront, you'll still get a price by region quote tool.