iDisk as a CDN?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by steveash, Apr 26, 2011.

1. steveash macrumors 6502

Aug 7, 2008
    Just wondering if it would be effective to use iDisk as a small CDN (Content Delivery Network) for a website?

I have a website with fairly high traffic and am working to make it as fast as possible. One of the things I am considering is using a CDN for static files. My mostly vacant iDisk account popped into my head as a possible contender. I was wondering if anyone else had tried this?
  2. Consultant macrumors G5

Jun 27, 2007
  3. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

Aug 16, 2004
    I vote RS.
    After amazon's latest flubs and being hacked w/ wikileaks, I'd be hesitant to rely on them right about now.
  4. jtara macrumors 65816

Mar 23, 2009
    A CDN isn't a web host or a cloud provider. It's a distributed network of computers that push-out content to the "edges" of the Internet, closer to users. It's appropriate for large web sites with large geographic appeal which also have a need for low-latency deliver of content to users.

Amazon does have a CDN product, but it's not included in the base S3 offering. S3 offers storage services in ONE of Amazon's data centers, but doesn't push-out content across their world-wide network.

To my knowledge, the other solutions offered aren't CDNs and don't offer a CDN product.
  5. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

Sep 2, 2010
    Agreed. The Amazon product you'd be looking at is "CloudFront", not "S3".

And Rackspace does offer a CDN now, but it's actually using Akamai for the CDN functionality. Akamai is the big corporate CDN player I've used. It's pricy, though.
  6. Consultant macrumors G5

Jun 27, 2007
    Let's see, VPS offers origin pull caching on a few dozen locations around the world, including over a dozen in the US.

Surely that's not a CDN. :rolleyes:

Yes, Rackspace says it uses Akamai. So why shouldn't you use Akamai? Hint: Just try to find prices on Akamai. It's not for small companies.

Also, even if you select amazon cloudfront, you'll still get a price by region quote tool.