idisk backup doesn't work

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nellie, Aug 22, 2008.

1. nellie macrumors newbie

I subscribed for one year which ends in September. It worked fine until the last three months. Now it always says, "There is not enough space available for this backup." In the backup menu, I unchecked various files - same problem. I unchecked all files - same problem. Thinking it might help if I reinstalled the entire mac system for my 10.2.8, I reinstalled. (I first saved it to whatever the directions said to do, or so I thought). I lost everything - all documents, all iphotos, all hp photos, all movies, all addresses, all email accounts, all desktop, etc. My computer is a blank slate and still when I test idisk backup, it says, "There is not enough space available for this backup." How can that be? "Restore from idisk" or "Restore from drive" does nothing. I never saved anything to a cd or dvd because I couldn't get that to work when I tried to save a movie, so I gave up.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

How much space did you allocate to iDisk, how much bandwidth do you have left, and how big is the back up itself?

3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

10.2.8 sounds a bit early to support MobileMe/iDisk, the spec from the Apple web site say:

For Mac: Mac OS X v10.4.11 or latest version of Mac OS X Leopard; Firefox 2 or 3 or Safari 3.

The only other problem I can think of is if you have your iDisk sync'ed to your Mac, and you are running short of disk space for the sync mirror image file to grow to the new iDisk size of 20GB (If I remember correctly, older versions of OS X allocated the full size of the iDisk to a .dmg image, rather than use a sparseimage).

4. nellie thread starter macrumors newbie

"About backup" says 2.0.2 (v174.5). The backup menu has about 13 default "Items". I can check one, some, or all for backup to idisk. No matter what I check or uncheck, the message says there is not enough space available for this backup - remove some files. As of now (with me trying various things), all I have checked for backup is "Address Book contacts" with a Size of 48K. At the bottom of the Backup Menu it says 1 Items, 0.05 MB used. When I click Backup Now I get the message that says "there is not enough space ......." When Backup was working for me, the bar at the top of the Backup menu used to be part green showing how much I wanted to backup. If I had checked too many things, it would be red. Now the bar is a blank (with my Address Book contacts showing a size of 48K.) I just tried to backup to a cd/dvd. That did not work either. My dvd brand is imation DVD+RW 4x 2 hr. Is that the wrong kind of disc? The popup message says "Burn Disc In: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105. Waiting for a disc to be inserted..." Well, it is inserted. It makes some noise every two seconds, and then the door opens up and the disc is ejected. Do I need to prepare this disc somehow before I do backup?

5. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Please read my post above and confirm if you have your iDisk set to sync and if you have at least 20GB free disk space

6. nellie thread starter macrumors newbie

iDisk storage says: Disk space current used 0. Available 2 GB. I don't know what you mean by iDisk set to sync.

7. blodwyn macrumors 65816

In the preference pane for .Mac/MobileMe, there is an option to sync your iDisk with your Mac. This creates a file on your Mac with the contents of your iDisk so you can (for example) access your files when you're disconnected from the internet.

Earlier versions of OS X created a file the size of your iDisk to hold the data, while later versions just create a file big enough to hold the current content of your iDisk, not the whole thing. With the size of iDisk storage just being increased to 20GB, my theory is that your system is trying to create a 20GB copy of your iDisk, and can't because you don't have 20GB free. If you don't have your iDisk set to sync, or you have at least 20GB free, then my theory is junk.