Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
Hey all. I'm having this issue with MobileMe's iDisk that I really don't understand. I've uploaded a 6.35 gb file (size according to OSX on my computer) to it in anticipation of sending it out to my entire class so they can download it. But when I test it before I send it out, it (using both Safari and Firefox) reports downloading a 1.9 gb file. If I let that complete and click on the movie that downloaded, it looks fine in Quicktime, until I get to a specific time in the timeline (approximately 30 something minutes in), where it refuses to update the video or audio, likely because, even though Quicktime reports the video as an hour and 21 minutes long, there really isn't any more data beyond 30 something minutes. Could anyone please help me figure this out? I'm on a time constraint here as we have our exam on Fri and I'd like to get this out to the class much earlier than that. Here is the link with which any of you can attempt to download this and see for yourself: https://files.me.com/abslikewhoa/b77oy9.mov . The password is "MED". Thank you.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
What about splitting the original video in your editing application (if you used one to create it) into three smaller pieces and trying that again?

You could also try VideoSpec (I prefer that, though it hasn't been updated since 11/2009), MediaInfo Mac (10/2010) or MediaInfo (10/2010, there is a Mac OS X version to download, VideoSpec and MediaInfo Mac are using the same library as MediaInfo) to analyse the source file (6.x GB) and the downloaded file and post both reports here.

I currently download the file you linked to, but I currently only can download it at 900KB/s, though I can download files from the internet at twice the speed normally.

dknightd

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2004
6gb is a pretty big file. Are you sure it finished uploading?
I'm guessing you only uploaded 1.9GB of it.

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
Thank you guys. I'm pretty certain it finished uploading. I used the WebDAV upload protocol through the OS X application "Transmit". I watched it upload (using my schools internet connection) at about 1.2 mb/sec and finish in approximately an hour and a half.

spinnerlys, yes, I guess I could use iMovie to split it into 3 separate files and then upload those again. It'll be more of a headache for the computer uninclined in my class, but it'll have to do I guess. Hopefully that works. So frustrating that iDisk doesn't come through when I need it.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
6.35 GB is quite big for 81 minutes of video. Normally you could bring that down to less than 700MB if the video can be in SD or around 2GB if it needs to be in HD.

What application and what settings did you use to create or export the 6.35GB file?

Btw, you could also try 2shared to upload your file, it even allows password protection, but is not as easy as iDisk though, and it doesn't look that good.

Take a look at Handbrake and open the file in there and see if you can bring down the size via the Apple TV or iPhone preset or one of your own via setting the final file size.

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
Ok, maybe I'm completely ignorant here so please set me straight if I am. I used my iPhone 4 to record the HD videos (3 of them of unequal length to be exact), then used iMovie to make them one video. When iMovie presented me with the choice, I chose to export at full HD quality, and it gave me the file in question (a 6 gb file). Are you telling me I could have somehow kicked down the file size WITHOUT kicking down the quality at all?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Ok, maybe I'm completely ignorant here so please set me straight if I am. I used my iPhone 4 to record the HD videos (3 of them of unequal length to be exact), then used iMovie to make them one video. When iMovie presented me with the choice, I chose to export at full HD quality, and it gave me the file in question (a 6 gb file). Are you telling me I could have somehow kicked down the file size WITHOUT kicking down the quality at all?

Yep. ;)

I'm just testing the file you linked to in Handbrake, though even there it is shown being 1h21m39s long. It still takes a while on my older iMac with 2GHz and I use the FFmpeg codec for that transcoding process (still 40 minutes to go). Using the H264 codec, you would be able to get that video with that resolution and with that length into a file of about 1.9GB, just like it currently is. Maybe you can test it yourself, and if you have a faster Mac, you can try the H264 codec, which would take several hours on my Mac as it seems.

My settings:
117ffjm.png

Btw, why would you watch a video in class and don't get the video to watch it again and again, especially if it is that vital?

dknightd

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2004
apparently idisk supports files only up to 2gb

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1180

Your going to have to compress the files (you'll loose some
quality, but it might not be noticable)

Can your students download the file on your school network?
If not you should reduce the file size anyway since 6GB is
too much to ask all your students to download IMO.

Does your school have tech staff you could ask for help?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Okay, Handbrake just finished, as the estimate was for a 81 minutes file.

The final file I got was 26m28s long and 335MB (Snow Leopard) / 319MiB (every other OS) in size. I upload it via 2Shared and link you to it later, as I think the quality is quite acceptable for the contents of the video - the audio is still terrible though.

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
Btw, why would you watch a video in class and don't get the video to watch it again and again, especially if it is that vital?

Wow. You guys are awesome. Thank you all very very much.

The way the instructor had it setup was moronic. He was using an HD camera simply to feed HD video into the multiple TV's in the room, thus, he WASN'T recording. When asked why they couldn't simply hit 'record' on these things, he gave a backwards answer that I didn't really want to argue with and instead just took things into my own hands.

Anyway, I'm now using VisualHub (don't want to pay for HandBrake) to re-encode that file using H.264 and the highest settings possible. I have a Core i7 2.66 ghz MBP so hopefully it'll go quickly. Thank you so much for your help man. I sincerely appreciate it.

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
apparently idisk supports files only up to 2gb

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1180

Your going to have to compress the files (you'll loose some
quality, but it might not be noticable)

Can your students download the file on your school network?
If not you should reduce the file size anyway since 6GB is
too much to ask all your students to download IMO.

Does your school have tech staff you could ask for help?

Ahh. And therein lies the problem. Thanks for showing me this man. They may have tech support, but I'm too nerdy to want to ask them for help. hahaha

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
Okay, Handbrake just finished, as the estimate was for a 81 minutes file.

The final file I got was 26m28s long and 335MB (Snow Leopard) / 319MiB (every other OS) in size. I upload it via 2Shared and link you to it later, as I think the quality is quite acceptable for the contents of the video - the audio is still terrible though.

Thanks. But the fact that the video you referred to is only 27 min long implies that you only downladed approx. 1.9 gb from iDisk (probably because of the reason listed above). I'm trying to reencode it right now as you suggested

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Anyway, I'm now using VisualHub (don't want to pay for HandBrake) to re-encode that file using H.264 and the highest settings possible. I have a Core i7 2.66 ghz MBP so hopefully it'll go quickly. Thank you so much for your help man. I sincerely appreciate it.

That i7 will be loads faster than my C2D. Also take a look at VideoMonkey, the continuation of VisualHub (as it has been discontinued). Btw, Handbrake is free and costs nothing and does not require any registration.

Btw, to quote someone, just press the
quote.gif
button.
To quote several posts, use the
multiquote_off.gif
button (multi-quote).
To edit your posts, use the
edit.gif
button.

All these buttons are on the bottom right of the posts.

Minor Problems

6. Sequential posts.
Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time.

Good luck with the transcoding process. I canceled the upload, as it would take almost an hour to upload (100KB/s).

dknightd

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2004
Before you pursue this any further, I think you need to ask yourself a couple of questions.

1) Do all my students have a computer (and software) to display this video?
2) Do all my students have access to fast internet?

If the answer is no to either question, then you need to either think of something else, or at least provide alternate means of getting the content to the students. IMO

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
Before you pursue this any further, I think you need to ask yourself a couple of questions.

1) Do all my students have a computer (and software) to display this video?
2) Do all my students have access to fast internet?

If the answer is no to either question, then you need to either think of something else, or at least provide alternate means of getting the content to the students. IMO

Yes, at my medical school, all students are required to have laptops, and, being that they have access to school wifi, they have access to fast internet.

dknightd

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2004
Yes, at my medical school, all students are required to have laptops, and, being that they have access to school wifi, they have access to fast internet.

:)

You might consider putting your content on a University server instead of messing around with mobile-me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.