iDisk & Gallery on web alternative?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by arnoz, Jun 28, 2011.

1. arnoz macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

So since iDisk and Gallery will be dropped (I'll really miss iDisk...) what alternative would you suggest? I'm not really aware of competitor's services since I always used MobileMe/.Mac services because it was easy and integrated in my Mac, didn't look for something else. What I'm looking for:

iDisk like: I backup a lot of files weekly to it so I have access to these everywhere. So I'm looking for a disk in the cloud that can easily sync files from my Mac. Heard about Dropbox but also about their security issues... A bit worried.

Gallery: photo stream will be nice but the thing I will miss is the online gallery to easily publish photos for friends.

Shoot the names of equivalent services you know ;-)
    Thanks!

2. ufkdo macrumors 6502

idisk alternative= dropbox

gallery alternative= picasaweb (picasaweb is really easy to use, download picasa to your computer, it will scan your iphoto library and automatically add them without corrupting library organization - I mean albums and photos are same. Also, you can upload your photos directly from picasa which is very easy and useful)

3. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Seems you have a few choices. How much would you be looking to upload because different services offer different amounts for free before they charge?

iDisk alternatives : Dropbox, Google Docs, Skydrive.

Gallery : Picasa(web), Windows Live Photo Gallery, Flickr, Photobucket.

Have a look at their websites and see which suits your needs best

4. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

i've been looking at gallery alternatives...

i might settle on SmugMug - they have a free 15 day trial and after that it's paid for..

many themes to choose from, password protect etc.. etc..

5. arnoz thread starter macrumors regular

THanks guys, just needed some names, now I'm going to check their websites.
    As for cloud I think I need 3-5GB.

6. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000