iDisk replacement

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by fabian9, Jul 1, 2012.

1. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Now that MobileMe has expired and iDisk is dead for good, I was wondering why developers haven't stepped in to fill the gap?

Is there an iCloud API that would allow developers to create an iOS app that could push files to the iCloud storage? The same dev could then also create a OS X app that can access the iCloud storage from the mac.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

It's easy enough to replace iDisk.

1. Use dropbox or one of the alternatives.
    2. Rent yourself some cheap web space and use webDAV or Transmit's FTP disk facility to 'mount' it on your desktop.
    3. Run a server at home - just open the correct port in your router and set up a password-protected web-based share.

4. fabian9 thread starter macrumors 65816

fabian9

I don't like dropbox because of the bandwidth limits that they apply. Running a web-server might be an idea, but then it's restricted to the upload speed of my broadband connection (about 1Mbps).

Yes, iDisk had the same restriction, but I could choose when I would upload a file and if I did need to access it from somewhere else, it would be available for download from a fast server.

I'll look into the webDAV option though, since I already have webspace available that I could use. Thanks for the tip!

5. amlou1130 macrumors newbie

Have you tried this? Does it work? I've been pulling my hair out looking for a decent replacement.

6. GBH macrumors newbie

Tried MacMate?

have a look at macmate.me - just updated their disk service for $40 for 5gb. Pretty basic webdav disk service when it first came out in April but now pretty mature and comes with an iphone app. I've always found it very fast and reliable and the safari access to the disk is pretty handy sometimes. would certainly recommend.:)