iDisk slow upload speeds

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by AFPoster, Apr 12, 2011.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Is anyone else having these upload speed issues? Well, I don't know if it's an issue but it takes a ridiculously long time to upload stuff to my iDisk. Right now I am trying to upload a video (44.3mb) to my Movies folder. It's been running for about 20 minutes now and only at 15.7mb. I did some files yesterday was around 10-15min for 2-3mb files. I have 40gb of storage and nothing else is even running except Google Chrome so I can write this, then I will exit. Also on a brand new 2011 15" high-end MBP. Any ideas? Is there settings I should change? Also Dropbox is like instant for me, is it just iDisk?

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

Most ISP's have stupid low upload speeds compared to download. You may get 3 mb/s download but have a 256 k upload. That may be the bottleneck.

3. macography.net macrumors newbie

macography.net

4. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah I'm at 15mbps download /// 3mbps upload

5. marc11 macrumors 68000

That is pretty good upload speed, should be too slow to upload a file. Then again, you are still constrained by your router, modem and wireless/wired network devices, but still it should move along.

6. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

The nice thing I see with Dropbox is that there is no file upload limit, whereas iDisk is a 1gb file limit even though for me it always caps out around 500mb.

7. jimthing macrumors 6502a

jimthing

I deal with multi-100MB video files (eg. 100MB to 1.5GB) and not one of these "cloud" storage has ever worked at a fast enough speed.

Nor will for the foreseeable future, as our internet connections are just no where near upto the job. I'm on 100Mbit (down)/10Mbit (up), best domestic speed in the UK, and these cloud services for file storage (and more especially backup) are just a waste of time.

I'd suggest we need to wait until at least 1Gbit *syncronous* (ie. BOTH ways), rather than asynchronous as they are now, are available for mass background online cloud backups to be a reality. In the UK, circa 2016-17, at a guess.

Even software like Transmit does sweet FA if truth be told!

Bugger :-(

8. marc11 macrumors 68000

Agreed. I'd love to push about 10 or 15 gigs of data to the cloud for back up storage, but I cannot even think about how long that would take in one shot. Instead I have started sending smaller amounts each day, about a gig a day and it takes forever with my local POS ISP upload speeds.