iDisk syncing question.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by littlewaywelt, Jan 28, 2008.

1. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

If I have a file that's in a folder on my imac harddrive and I drag it to iDisk is that file automatically updated if I make changes to the file on my mac? Or do I have to redrag any updated versions onto the iDisk icon?

I guess my question is, is iDisk a simple online storage deal, or is it a way for me to access the most up to date versions of documents that I drag there?

2. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

Doing that, you end up with a copy of that file at that time. Routine backups could be preformed to give you relatively recent versions of your files (.mac preferences), or if you have leopard you can use the 'back to my mac' to access and control your mac remotely.

3. littlewaywelt thread starter macrumors regular

I can't use back to my mac as I'm accessing idisk via windows.

My question is, if I drag a file into iDisk, and I change the original file will the file in iDisk be synced automatically.

ex- I have a recipe for stew. I drag the file "yummystew" from my mac hard drive onto iDisk. iDisk then puts that file up on the web where I would access it via dot mac. If I change the original "yummystew" file by say adding an ingrediatent but leaving the file name the same on my imac. Will the file that's on iDisk show that change or do I have to redrag the updated file onto iDisk?

4. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough. The answer is no, unfortunately.

5. mrklaw macrumors 65816

but if you had idisk syncing on, that would create a copy of the idisk stored on your mac. If you then use this local idisk location to save 'yummystew', that is then backed up to the remote idisk. Change that yummystew recipe and it will be updated online.

Only downer is that it means you have to use the idisk as the location to save things, rather than the documents folder.