idisk transfer problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pavelbure, Oct 11, 2007.

1. pavelbure macrumors 6502a

i am trying to upload a 3 gb. file up to my .mac account. if i try doing it by opening idisk and just copying and pasting it will just sit there and never upload anything, i let it sit for 2 days and it never uploaded anything. i tried using a program called transmit, although it uploaded most of it, when it got to the end it gave me a error and i was again left with nothing. does anybody have any idea on uploading a file this big ?

2. lucface macrumors regular

lucface

3. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

.Mac can definitely be a pain for uploading big files, best advice:
    • Compress it as tight as you can get it
    • Don't use Wi-fi - I've always found it much faster and reliable over Ethernet when it comes to uploading
    • If you're on a laptop use the best connection you can find - I'm talking Corporate grade (sometimes I'm a little cheeky and go to my old Uni library and pretend to still be a student - the upload (and download) speed is so fast its stupid!)
    • Download iStat menus (islayer.com) and set it to show you network activity in the menu bar - that way you can verify if anything is actually being uploaded and how fast its going. It also tells you the total Mb uploaded and downloaded in brackets so you know when its likely to finish.
    Hope some of that helps ;)

4. pavelbure thread starter macrumors 6502a

i do have istat and it shows that it is uploading when using transmit. it uploads all the way to the end, then when it's done i get that error, which i have to get next time, and i have nothing but a 0 k file on there. i am making a new .img that will be smaller and will try that later.