iDisk vs Dropbox - any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jclin10, Jan 2, 2010.

1. jclin10 macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any thoughts on Dropbox vs iDisk? Pros and cons of each?

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'll state the obvious. Dropbox is free up to 2GB.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

iDisk is slow, and used for other purposes like holding your image galleries and your iweb pages.

dropbox is a multi-platform synchronization service that provides 2GB for free. Two really different products aimed at solving two different problems. While there is some over-lap between the two, its really comparing apples and oranges.

4. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I have both. I only use iDisk for long term storage and large file stuff. Dropbox is, in all ways, a superior product. It's fast, easy to use or share, and the archiving and ability to undelete is amazing.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Not to mention the ability to sync files in it. 1Password in Dropbox is, exactly that, amazing.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I pay for MobileMe and I use Dropbox instead of my iDisk.

That's pretty much all you need to know.

7. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Yeah. With multiple computers, Dropbox is a MUST for 1Password. Really, I couldn't live without it. =)

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's funny, I FOUND Dropbox because 1Password suggested it.

Ends up I disliked 1Password and don't use it anymore, but fell in love with Dropbox. So...thanks, 1Password!

9. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

+1. I uploaded 30GB worth of stuff to Dropbox in like 2 days, literally, and I don't have the fastest connection. I tried using my iDisk as a backup with Transmit and scheduling. In short it was a nightmare. iDisk is slow and I kept timing out, etc. Apple should just buy Dropbox and scrap iDisk and just implement Dropbox immediately as part of MobileMe.

I pay for MobileMe because I'm all things Apple, and it's the easiest way for me to keep all of my contacts, calendars, email, etc synced, not to mention my preferences/settings on my Mac. But I also pay for Dropbox because it's not only the best syncing service, but it's also the best backup service for my needs as well. With unlimited 30 day versions, and you can even pay $3.99/month more for unlimited versions of *all* files. It's like Time Machine.

Bryan