IDK about you, BUT IOS 5 HAS ME EXCITED!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NunnOtha, Jun 6, 2011.

1. NunnOtha macrumors member

ok, just read about all the new features that will be implemented into Ios 5 and though many of them were expected, I am still happy about every last one of them. The cloud service idea is GENIOUS! I own a mac, macbook pro, iphone, and ipad 2 so this ecosystem will make tranferring data so much easier. The notifications are androidish but who cares, its a start! Im glad to see the huge obstrusive notifications die a burning death. I knew we wouldnt see widgets, but thats ok, ill take my 10hr battery life and keep on moving.

The messaging app has me estatic! ive been waiting on this since day one. Couldnt see y i was unable to text from my ipad if my iphone was right there next to me. although this is following a bbm road, I couldnt be happier with this idea. now we wont have to use third party apps that not everyone has.

Safari tabs are well overdue. Cant wait to surf with the new safari.

OTA updates are overdue as well. cant wait for those, although the jailbreak community might not be too happy with this.

thats my $0.02 for now. What do you guys think?

2. kalex macrumors 65816

On the contrary - now you will be able to do jail breaking OTA with delta updates - Magical

3. KHC831 macrumors member

i love all the new features (even the ones i'll never use) but i feel that some of the features are taken from andriod and cydia. wifi sync, lockinfo etc. dont think im gonna be jailbreaking my ipad 2 after all. well played apple...well played

4. Sonisk macrumors member

5. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

It all looks good. Too bad none of it surprised me as every new features existed somewhere else before. WiFi Sync? My Zunes have had that for 3 years. Notifications? Android, every one of my android devices and versions. Cloud music? Done that. Google. Of course I've had local network access to all my shared files on most of my android devices for a year and a half. Hell, Apple should be paying the Jailbreak community for everything I didn't mention.

6. NunnOtha thread starter macrumors member

yea ive been reading around and everyone is saying how theyve seen all these different features before else where. my question to those who say this is "does it work as well and is it as capable as apple?" basically, i believe apple will excel in these "copied" fields because of the whole ecosystem implementation. to get many of these features, one must go through different companies ex:google, android, amazon, windows. Apple has all of this in one place and usable for is customers at a great price and it all connects together in a great unmatched way.

7. bufffilm, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

well, you have to keep in mind that none of this stuff was available on the ipad before so it's _new_ to Apple users, thus it is noteworthy.

i can't help thinking that while Apple users are excited, the ones who are quietly celebrating are the stakeholders in Android, QNX, etc. they now have another year to close the gap between their products and the iPad, because aside from the iCloud aspect, the feature set in iOS5, at least from what was covered today, isn't ground-breaking in the sense that they [the competition] already have some of the new iOS5 features.

i had hoped for revisions/enhancements to the UI and more of the stuff that was available on JB'd ipads to come over to the side of 'official support' from Apple. if they had implemented them, Apple could have crushed the competition and maintained their huge advantage another year. instead, i think they've left the door partly open.

personally to me, i'd grade iOS5 a 4.5 out of 10 from what has been announced so far, which according to Jobs...today's conference didn't cover it all. did anyone notice in the engadget blog that it seems even with iOS5, we'll have to endure the 'number-less' keyboard for another year. [sigh]

8. NunnOtha thread starter macrumors member

id even be willing to bet that some stuff was saved for the iphone 5 announcement. being that IOS 5 isnt set to debut until then anyway, they have to have some new features to showcase besides the bump in hardware.

9. HardLuckStories macrumors regular

Looks great. Was hoping for some UI tweaks though, if only for the fact I'm bored how iOS looks, seems like an age ago I had iPhone 3G.

Also was hoping for fullscreen safari browsing, it wouldn't be so hard for them to do this! I think it'd be great on iPad, oh well keep hoping (pleased about tabs though).

icloud is going to change everything! Again! Lol

10. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

I'm excited for iOS 5 - specifically iMessage and Notifications. What an improvement from the current state!

11. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

12. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

13. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

I was referring to OS updates ;)

14. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Yeah lots of features were lifted, but don't forget how much Apple revolutionized smart phones just a few years ago. Nothing is really sacred anymore. It's all about doing what someone else has already done, but doing it better.

15. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Really? How's all that syncing been working with your Google TV or your Google laptop? ;) So, M$ and Google hardware work seemlessly together so when you download a song on your Zune it transmits wirelessly to all your Android devices, without any input on your part? That's amazing.

The point here is, one company, like Google, has done great things with notifications. One company, like RIM, was great with messaging. One company was great with UI's. But, no company has seemlessly integrated all of them to work together without the user having to be directly involved in the process. Apple has changed all that.

I predict Apple will continue to gain more and more users at a staggering rate after this comes online this fall. Why buy fragmented Android based products that may not even be updated by the OEM in 6 months time and can't integrate with your TV, laptop, desktop, mp3 player or tablet seemlessly, while the iPhone can do all that and now has all the features Android based phones have? (Minus Flash of course.)

16. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Amen, brother!

17. kalex macrumors 65816

I have my itunes (garbage) music uploaded to google music that I'm listening on my mac pro and when I leave my desk I can listen to it on my air or Nexus S phone. My phone is running android 2.3.4 (and ready for this? It came from the cloud not usb cable attached to my mac) which has very similar notification bar NOW not in fall season.

What you mean to say is that no company has seamlessly stolen all of them together and stuffed it into iOS5/Lion. Thats true Apple did change all of that magically

18. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

My friend's BB is always updating (automatically) randomly. I wouldn't enjoy that. And to think what it would do to my unlock...

19. frega macrumors member

I was expecting Nuance's voice recognition + Siri's AI marriage, accompanied by a Bluetooth earpiece/mic accessory.

Imagine commanding an iPhone like in Star Trek. You hit a button on the Bluetooth earpiece and command your iOS device.

"Computer, look up wikipedia for ________."
    One of nuance's voices tell you its completed the search, and an entry added in Notification Center. Basically you can keep adding commands and when its ready, it'll be in Notification Center.

So the next time take our your phone, you just slide on your commands in Notification Center and voila. Safari opens with the page you asked for.

20. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN AWESOME

Oh yeah, weren't there a substantial amount of rumours about voice command being central to the update?