Idk what content to add to my iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FooArk, Mar 27, 2011.

1. FooArk macrumors 6502

All I have are apps and the internet. I dont see why people buy a 32 or 64gb version. What can you put on it?

2. ravenas macrumors regular

Music and movies are my big space hogs.

My music library is 15GB+. I like having it handy on all my mobile devices so I can swap which one to bring. (Touch if I'm just running out the door for a quick errand, iPad if it's an overnight trip.) So that music library + the 5-6GB of iOS apps takes up a good 20-21GB alone.

My video library consists of movies (1-2GB each), TV shows (3-400mb for SD and 1GB for HD), and video podcasts (2-400mb).

I can stream just fine at home so don't need more than the 16GB WiFi model, but on the road it gets trickier. My 3G speeds get throttled to 300-500mbs when I least expect it, or else I end up without anything. Public WiFi is ALWAYS throttled. And then there are times I'm in a deadzone without any 3G or WiFi. That's when I like to pull up a video to watch "in-house".

The last space hog are photos. My iPad1 had a selection of family/trip photos for the portable photo album/brag book as well as a nice selection of desktop wallpaper/virtual photo slideshows. With the iPad2, I imagine I'll add a few movies and photos from the device.

The issue of storage really comes down to where you expect to use the device. Always at home or in the office, you don't need a lot of internal storage. The device becomes like an auxiliary to your desktop/laptop/media server. But if you road trip a lot, it becomes a laptop/netbook replacement. That's when you find you need the extra storage.