Idle Battery drain 7+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jmgilliam18, May 11, 2017.

1. Jmgilliam18 macrumors member

Jmgilliam18

Hey guys, new iPhone user here (last 2 weeks) and am loving the iPhone 7+ so far. Coming from a Samsung Note the battery life is amazing.

Question though... at first I would see no drain overnight when unplugged. It would be the same as when I sat it on the nightstand. Or when it was on my desk unused during the day it would be the same as when I sat it down. Now I've noticed it draining some overnight when idle. Last night it drained about 4% (8 hours) and I even had it on low battery usage setting.

Is this normal and how can I narrow down what is causing the drain?

It also seems like it is draining more during use than originally. I wonder if I've changed a setting I don't realize but don't know how to tell for sure.

Thanks.

2. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

It's normal. I typically lose 2-3% and sometimes 5% overnight and not overly concerned about it. I'd say if it's more than 10% over 8 hours then something was running in the back ground.

3. Radon87000 macrumors 603

If you have charged it to 100% or the battery level is around 98% then it wont drop. Maybe 1%. But if its below 80 then it will drop 4% every 8 hours or so

4. Jmgilliam18 thread starter macrumors member

Jmgilliam18

Thanks. That makes sense. Now that I think about it, the times it has stayed the same it was 100% or high 90's. Lately I've been not charging it overnight so it doesn't run up to 100% and overcharge overnight so it's been around 50-60% at night - last night was 91% and went down to 88%.

5. cakebytheocean macrumors member

Does anyone know the rationale behind this? Is this by design?

6. Jmgilliam18 thread starter macrumors member

Jmgilliam18

Good question. No idea.

Maybe because when it's at 100 it could be all the way to 100 or just barely touching 100. Evidently 100% has a bigger range than a typical %

7. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

It is by design - most manufacturers don't report true % ratings past 90% to allow for trickle charging. Battery % is very difficult to get accurately. The 6s+ will continue to charge for up to an hour past 100% --- and I notice it stays at 100% far longer when I do that (using coconutBattery). I too notice that sub 50% it drops to 0% far faster than 100% to 50%.

As far as standby battery life - depends on how far you are from a cellphone tower. If I sleep with 100% reception, I usually have 0% battery loss overnight. If I have 1-2 bars I'll have 3-5% battery loss. At my house, I have 1-2 bars - ever since Verizon did WiFi calling, I have 1-2 bars of cellular with VZW WiFi - and I lose 1-2% overnight.

8. cakebytheocean macrumors member

So whats the best way to get an accurate line of sight into battery life?

Is there a figure equivalent to android's screen on time?

9. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502a

QueenTyrone

Between my battery life app (jailbreak) and the stock battery it's about 3-5% difference, my battery wear is 2% so 98% capacity.