Idle fan speed macbookpro12,1

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mstrcrd, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Mstrcrd macrumors newbie

Hi,

So I have a question. I've owned my early 2015 13" rMBP a bit over 2 years now. I've always had the impression the fan always spins, even at idle temperatures.
    Recently I wanted to clean the fan, so temperatures are optimally kept within range. Before cleaning I checked temperatures with istat menu which showed me idle temperatures around 50°C and an idle fan speed of about 1300 rpm.
    I shut down the machine and removed the cover, paying special attention to prevent static discharge by touching a heater element in my home. I cleaned the fan by blowing on it and getting as much dust out as I could. I manipulated the fan by turning it with my finger to get all the blades.

My machine still works fine but at idle speeds istat menu and macs fan control both say my fan isn't spinning at idle temperature. I can make it spin using macs fan control function to set a fixed fan speed but as soon as I select the auto option, it stops spinning.
    Is this normal or not? I have been searching the internet and can't seem to find a conclusive answer.
    I have already reset SMC and NVRAM to no avail.

Kind regards

2. Mstrcrd thread starter macrumors newbie