Idle RAM Usage Goes Up After RAM Upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by soulonfirexx, Apr 18, 2009.

1. soulonfirexx macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I have a late 2008 model Black Macbook, the ones that were out right before the aluminum uni-bodies. Anyway, I just put in a 4GB RAM upgrade. Everything is working faster and all, I was just wondering though. I have Geektool running to show me my RAM and CPU usage. After starting up with 2GB RAM, my Macbook would idle around 450mb RAM usage. After the upgrade, this went up to 730-750mb RAM usage after a cold start and a reboot. I was a little perplexed by this. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Is this normal?

Thank you!

2. VladM macrumors regular

Why are you perplexed? Now that it has more memory at its disposal, the OS uses it to cache more stuff etc. It would be pretty pointless chucking all this extra memory in if the OS isn't going to use it, don't you think. A good memory manager will always use as much RAM as possible, then release it as it becomes necessary for other apps.

3. soulonfirexx thread starter macrumors newbie

I realized that after thinking about it for a bit. Thanks for the explanation though!

4. gjw4u macrumors 6502

5. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

not to worry at all. Your mac is a happy little guy that will take as much ram as it can get :D