Idle rMBP fans @1998 and @2166? yours?

Ulf1103

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Hy,

my best friend google told me that the minimum fan speed for the MBP's is 2000 rpm.
But what I noticed is that my left fan always spins faster then 2000 rpm (about 8%).

(I'm using the iGPU (HD 4000), not the GT650M (which is located at the left fan, as far as I know) see image below, rMBP upside down, so right is left :) )

Does anyone know why my left fan won't spin @±2000rpm?

(@rMBP users, can you guys post your idle fan speeds? thanks
ps: max fan speeds are also welcome, they should be ±6000 rpm
right: 5498 ~ left: 5965)

(2.6GHz i7)

Attachments

Last edited:

M5RahuL

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2009
Colorado
Right Fan : 1997
Left Fan : 2164

Courtesy: iStatPro
GPU : Integrated

CPU Temp : 33 C
GPU Temp: 35 C

Usage : Spotify ; Outlook ; Excel ; and Safari with a few tabs.

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
Standard mac behavior.
The fans will normally run at about 2K.
This app can control the speeds but it can only set the minimum fan speed, not the max.

mopatops

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
UK
Complete speculation but if you're questioning the difference in speeds, could it be the shape of the heatsink covering both CPU and GPU? The CPU is centred but the GPU is off to the left, right?

Youngesttim

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Northern California
My base model rmbp Is doing the same thing, I also hear a faint clicking sound from the side where power cable connects. When I put my ear on keyboard it sounds like the fan might be rubbing or something, my MBP 17" 2010 does not make that sound, it just has a normal hum. I have an appointment at genius bar tomorrow morning so they can hear it. Other than that it's a great machine with no problems...I will advise what they say...Just want to make sure it's a keeper

cjw2222

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
I already made a thread about this a while back but it is completely normal. Due to the layout and cooling needs of the new notebook.

Ulf1103

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Complete speculation but if you're questioning the difference in speeds, could it be the shape of the heatsink covering both CPU and GPU? The CPU is centred but the GPU is off to the left, right?
Yes, but, I used gfxCardStatus to make sure I was only running on the integrated graphics...
So the GPU shouldn't be warming up...

Youngesttim

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Northern California
update

Perhaps it was sleep deprivation getting the best of me or a need for psych meds... ;=) or combination of both....

No clicking sound could be heard with stethoscope at genius bar, and I cannot hear it anymore either.... it stopped!

They also ran diagnostic and all checked out. Different fan speeds totally within normal parameters...

I'm keeping it ;=))

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
The heat pipe design of the rMBP is unbalanced. The GPU shares the same heat pipe as the CPU, so the one side will be hotter; causing the one fan to run faster.

The cMBP, on the other hand, has the heat pipes centered between the CPU and GPU. The heat transfer is evenly distributed. Consequently, the two fans run at nearly the same speed.

Last edited:

Snesley Wipes

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
The fans speeds are offset in an attempt to reduce the pitch of fans running at the same time. Fan blades are asymmetrical as well for the same reason, to reduce noise.