Idle temp increases after upgrading ram on Alu Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fibrizo, Feb 24, 2009.

1. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

So I bit into the corsair memory deal on newegg and got 4gb of ram for 61$ shipped... I just popped it into my macbook last night. Booted, no issues, then booted into windows to do memtest86+ and stress the ram out. No issues... other than the fans spinning up at full load. So I boot back into OSX, and where my CPU used to idle at about 37, it now idles 41. I wondered if I might have gotten dirt or something in the CPU fan etc, so I opened the lappy back up, air dusted everything up, and unseated and reseated the ram. I put it back together and it still idles 40-41. I did screw down the back plate pretty tight, but I was wondering ig anyone else noticed? The CPU temp is the only think reading 40-41, HD is 30, and case and battery are 30 or less. Since I usually only looked at CPU temp (istats on top of bar) that's the only think I know is changed. Any thoughts?

2. daisun macrumors newbie

Thats quite cool. My macbook is currently at 54 degrees c. I don't think there's a problem at all.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That is nothing to worry about. Come back when it reads 75C. Then maybe worry. Think about this, it could be the ambient temp in the room raised and this raised your idle temp. It is only a matter of timing that you just upgraded the ram.

4. harry454 macrumors 6502

thats seems very cool, thats nice you have that, I wish my iMac was that cool, mine usually idles around 53 degrees

5. reeveah macrumors member

Hi,

Just upgraded my from 2gb to 4gb on the macbook alu 2.4ghz.

I'd like to know how to actually "stress test" it?

6. fibrizo thread starter macrumors 6502

fibrizo

7. reeveah macrumors member

Hi!

So that's all? Just running memtest86?

Pse advice, thanks! :)