Idle Temps Rose from 40 to 60 degrees C

Discussion in 'macOS' started by -aggie-, Oct 12, 2010.

1. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

As the title states, my idle temps have risen for no explainable reason that I can tell running 10.6.4 on a MBP. My %CPU is <2% for several processes and 0% for most. However, I noticed my %idle is <30%, so something seems to be running, but I can't tell what it is. Any thoughts on why this might have happened.

I did re-install the java update recently. I've also added Air Video and Air Mouse to use with my iPhone, but after turning these off, and even turning off the java process, nothing changes.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Have you made sure that all processes are viewed (not just My Processes)? Is Spotlight indexing? TM backing up? Does it occur after reboot? Does it feel hotter than usual?

3. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

Have you made sure that all processes are viewed (not just My Processes)? Yes.

Is Spotlight indexing? Not that I'm aware of.

TM backing up? Nope

Does it occur after reboot? Yes.

Does it feel hotter than usual? No.

4. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

I fixed this finally using Onyx. I'm not sure what actually made things go back to normal, but I believe it was deleting the system and user caches that finally brought my idle % back above 90% and my temps below 50.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Maybe there was something in the cache that used your CPU. Actually, I had a similar issue. +70% of my CPU was used by the system even though Activity Monitor showed ~10% CPU usage from processes. Ended up reinstalling OS X last Saturday (had some other issues as well) and now all issues are gone.

Good that you got it fixed so easily