iDodge, what do you expect?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Feb 13, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Ralph Gilles, CEO for the Dodge brand and Chrysler Groups’s chief stylist, wants the automaker to revitalize its creativity by taking a few pages from the Apple Computer playbook.

Gilles, who was filling in for Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne at the Economic Club of Chicago’s annual auto show luncheon, identified Steve Jobs, iconic Apple CEO, as his hero.

Chrysler must get away from “me-too” vehicles and avoid relying on one-hit wonders, according to GIlles who also said the company needs to end product overlap so that each of Chrysler’s four brands is distinct.

Praising Marchionne, Gilles told the audience Chrysler has been given the tools and inspiration to return to its former stature as one of the world’s premier automakers. As he spoke, he gave the audience glimpses of future Chrysler products, including the new Jeep Grand Cherokee and the next-generation Chrysler 300 which will make its debut in December of this year.

Speaking of the 300, Gillies said, “Hopefully, when you see that car, grown men and women will have tears running from their eyes. Hopefully, when you see that, you will say, ‘Go, America.’ ”

Source from Allpar.com

What do you expect to come from this?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Come of what? This thread?

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I expect a rusting pile of **** that doesn't work, kinda like current Chrysler cars. Like the old saying goes, you can't polish a turd.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Pretty catchy slogan but I'd go with…

Chrysler-Dodge
    We're Not Toyota.

6. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

What, in some kind of alternate universe or something? Since when has Chrysler ever been "one of the world's premier automakers"? Even at their peak, they were third behind GM and Ford. They have made some wonderful designs (300, Viper, and the Ram trucks), but they have never really been able to capitalize on them. They have a history of doing this. The K cars of the 80s were pretty good, but they overused the platform and didn't update them enough and suffered for it. The LH sedans in the 90s were great designs, but again, they let them go too long without updates and sales once again dropped. The 300 is a good design, but it is getting long in the tooth and the rest of their car lineup stinks.

I hope Fiat can once again bring them back from the dead, but they face a tough job. I just don't know if they can overcome the perception of the brand.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Yup. It's all downhill from here.

My first car was a Dodge Dart. The one with the push button transmission control.

Cool car.

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

9. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Since when has Chrysler ever been "one of the world's premier automakers"?

Not that I'm picking on anyone in particular, but most of the comments just show how limited the knowledge of most things most people are, in this case automotive history. But that's to be expected, as most of you weren't around before the eighties, and have no interest and generally little understanding in anything before then.

Chrysler was a dominant marque, up to and well into the '70's, and was a leader in US automotive technological development and styling, as well as simply the choice in stock car racing.

Every brand, every major manufacturer has their cycles, and these cycles can and do last decades. Chrysler as at the bottom of one of theirs. No prognostication as to where it'll end up for them, nor do I much care, as I don't have a horse in that race.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is true, but it is also true that automotive brands have fallen out of their glory, permanently, in the past, and been put to pasture. There's no innate reason to perceive a company's slide as cyclical and assume they will rebound.

As for Chrysler, let them try. Talk of not making "me too" products is a speech any first year MBA student can give in their speech, even with a mildly convincing skein of sincerity. Let's see them do it.

I would observe, however, if their revival plan hinges around new designs for the 300 and Grand Cherokee, they had better be prepared to fail. Chrysler has unveiled stylish, critically acclaimed 300 cars twice now in the last two decades, and it has failed both times to convert this into a revival of the company. The Grand Cherokee is a darling favorite in a dying market segment. Fiat has earned a reputation, recently, for putting out interesting cars people want, but re-badging those and calling this a disavowal of "me too" marketing is... sad.

All in all, best of luck, Chrysler.

11. bartelby macrumors Core

Come on, the Viper was a pretty cool car. I think they actually got it right with that...

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't see Chrysler emerging out of the hole they dug for themselves. I used to be a Chrysler customer, but the last dodge truck I owned was crap compared to honda.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You rice burner lovers dont know what your talking about, Dodge has some great stuff not economy mind you where they have nothing and thats one of their problems but if you love Power Charger & Challengers are awesome. I have been driving a Charger for 14 months now bought new and I have had 0 problems, none zero and this thing will blow the doors off of 9 out of 10 cars on the road with little effort.
    Chrysler management though the past years has been horrible and Mercedes raped this company and left, then it was bought by a bunch of accountants and wall street stock watchers who finished trying to run it into the ground. Horrible management as we saw in front of Congress along with GM.
    Charger and Challenger are just awesome Products and are not built for economy but for other reasons. I urge some of you to check out the super bowl commercial that said it all! Mans Last Stand narrated by Dexter.....These arent girly cars if you want that go to honda & toyota.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And for every Viper, there was a Prowler. :D

15. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

That is true. But success at the track never really led to success at the showroom. The Chrysler products were always playing third string to GM and Ford. It was always GM and Ford fighting for the sales lead. I like the company and their stuff. The 426 Hemi was probably the ultimate musclecar engine. (The GM LS6 was very close) I personally think the 70 Cuda was one of the best looking cars of that era. But for some reason, all of that never translated into mainstream success.

And right there is the problem. The company has swung wildly from success to the edge of bankruptcy since the late 70s/early 80s. It seems like there has been no middle ground.

16. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

You mean the pre-recall Toyota, or the post-recall Toyota? The perception seems to be changing pretty fast.

Not so much with Chrysler-Dodge. They wish they had the brand image of post-recall Toyota.

They got it right...for all of 2000 people who ever bought one? Sure, Viper looked cool, but one thing Chrysler needs to do is first is to learn how to build a decent car that everyone wants to buy. Welcome to the world of Honda Civic and Accord, Toyota Corolla and Camry, etc. These are high-quality mainstream vehicles with global appeal that have been cash cows for their manufacturers. It is sad to see how Chrysler failed in this area.

I wish them best of luck.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Chances are, I will.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Styling wise I think Dodge & chrysler have put out some terrific looking auto's. I didnt mention it but I was not a life long dodge lover and have owned many kinds of makes and models through the years but at this moment in time I happen to have a Dakota from 95 going strong with 170,000 miles on it and the Charger which everyone in the family just loves. I can really only talk about these two because they are the only Dodge products I have ever owned but they have been simply great. Say what you will about Dodge but iam more then pleased with these two.
    Charger is Man's last stand! I will take out the garbage, I will take my socks off when going to bed, I will carry your lip balm, I will put the seat down, I will watch your vampire tv shows, but because I do this I will drive the car I want to drive Dodge Charger.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPmYxLUoZVc

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes, I have tears running from my eyes when I see a 300 because I am just ashamed and saddened that this country can create something so hideously ugly and proudly call it American.

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You mean this 300 and also by the way their built in Canada ...........shhhhhhh!

Attached Files:

21. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Chrystler-Dodge: we aren't owned by the government.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes, that 300. It fell off the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

And built in Canada, eh? So why do all the rednecks try to tell me to "Buy 'Murkin!" when they're built in Canada. Some Hondas and Toyotas are more American than that ugly pile of garbage.

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I dont see this car as ugly, but if you do then enjoy. Anyone catch the dexter commercial with Charger? I thought it was pretty funny and about the rednecks I cant speak for them since I aint one of those cross breeding mountain climbing bare footing grit eating yahoo yelling bud drinking tatoo making.......,,

24. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I am just wondering if Chrysler-Dodge management believes that Americans are not very certain of their masculinity, and so we have to make certain that we put it on display through our vehicles. These macho design cues can have certain appeal to some segments of our population, but they can be perceived as rough and unsophisticated by others. The designs are so anchored in the 20th century. The world (for the most part) has moved on to the future which will include hybrid and fuel cell power plants, solar roofs, etc. Chrysler-Dodge still live in the world "it's got HEMI." Who cares?

Please wake up before you're dead. You're doing a great job killing another American icon.

25. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

People who want P-O-W-E-R and the roar of an engine and the aggressive look and stance etc....Its not a girly car sorry and political correctness has no place here. those kind of people. A person getting one of these isnt looking at a prius with brake issues.