Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has picked up a seven-part thriller that's set to star actor Idris Elba, the company announced today. Called "Hijack," the upcoming Apple TV+ show will follow a hijacked plane that makes its way to London.

idris-elba-hijack.jpg

Elba is set to star as Sam Nelson, an accomplished negotiator in the business world who needs to step up and use his skills to try to save the lives of the passengers on the plane, but it is a risky move and could be his undoing.

Elba previously signed a first-look deal with Apple TV+, and this is the first series to come of it. In addition to starring in the movie, Elba will serve as an executive producer under his Green Door Pictures label.

In other Apple TV+ news, Apple today shared the trailer for four-part true crime documentary "The Big Conn," which is set to premiere on Friday, May 6.

"The Big Conn" tells the story of attorney Eric C. Conn, who defrauded the government and taxpayers out of more than half a billion dollars in the largest Social Security fraud case in U.S. history.

Article Link: Idris Elba Thriller 'Hijack' Coming to Apple TV+

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Phil77354

Contributor
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Separate from whether or not this particular show turns out to be a good one, it is worth giving credit to Apple for building a terrific platform with a real variety of quality shows. They took a lot of criticism in the beginning for lack of content, and I for one think their offerings are just getting better and better, both series programs and movies (and now sports too).

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Separate from whether or not this particular show turns out to be a good one, it is worth giving credit to Apple for building a terrific platform with a real variety of quality shows. They took a lot of criticism in the beginning for lack of content, and I for one think their offerings are just getting better and better, both series programs and movies (and now sports too).

As many of us who have been countering the early "there's no content!!1! critics" have been saying, Apple is playing the long game. Quality over quantity might have a longer growth curve but ultimately, tv+ is going to have a fantastic library of more hits than misses and in just a couple of years, they're hitting a critical mass where it's unlikely that most typical users will ever run out of content to watch.

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
This actually sounds promising. Apple TV is flopping around on the ground, but stuff like this could bring it back. There's a lot of disenchantment with Netflix and Disney right now, but Apple has to be prepared to spend a lot of money to get top programming.

basehead617

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
Elba was primed to be a star but has been in flop after flop, take a look at the tv and film he's done the last 5+ years.. pretty much garbage.

Reactions: AAPLGeek

Le0M

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2020
This actually sounds promising. Apple TV is flopping around on the ground, but stuff like this could bring it back. There's a lot of disenchantment with Netflix and Disney right now, but Apple has to be prepared to spend a lot of money to get top programming.
Don't get your hopes up: I think Apple's strategy is clearly quality over quantity.
I mean, there will be eventually hundreds of tv shows, but that'll take several years ?

Relentless Power

macrumors Westmere
Jul 12, 2016
Elba was primed to be a star but has been in flop after flop, take a look at the tv and film he's done the last 5+ years.. pretty much garbage.
You’re right. He is a good actor, but he’s starting to turn to like ‘The Rock’ (Dwayne Johnson), where he has so many movies where they’re forgettable with shoddy script writing, mediocre acting and plots that look like they were written by a 14-year-old.

I just feel that when an actor reaches a certain degree into their acting career, they should be more specific in terms of what they choose to participate in that really makes them ‘stand out’ -versus- just being in any type of action movie for the sake of just ‘collecting a paycheck’.

ddhhddhh2

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
Taipei
As long as Apple has continued to do, it will eventually be very good. Like Arcade, although I hardly ever play mobile games, I was surprised to find that Arcade is already quite rich when I looked at it occasionally. Arcade was actually criticized for not having any content at first.

Reactions: Blowback

laurieballard

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2016
The plot does sound a little bit recycled considering how many of these films and TV shows there have been but you never know, it might be decent.

Initially I was convinced I would be ditching Apple TV+ once the free trial expired but I find myself happy to pay £4.99 a month, the content is not as vast as the likes of Netflix but we have watched most of the shows and enjoyed all bar a couple. On Netflix (which is over 3x the price), its got to a point where we find ourselves watching virtually anything that comes out new because everything older that we haven’t watched seems to be garbage.

Apple TV+ definitely seems to be quality over quantity which is largely which I choose Apple products in the first place.

Reactions: orbital~debris
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.