iDVD '08 crashes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by squeeks, Aug 8, 2007.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

my friend and i went up to the mac store today and both bought copies of ilife 08, well, neither of us can open idvd, on his mac pro as soon as you click the icon it closes, on my macbook pro i can at least get to the little menu that comes up and asks what you want to do, but if you select something it closes..any ideas? I already tried to repair permissions, imovie iphoto and garage band work fine

2. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

yes

3. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

iDVD never really worked anyway you could try reinstalling it. Also thanks for telling me that iWeb works.

4. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

i would reinstall but the fact that i got another mac sitting right here tells me that its not an install issue, also we're having problems sending pictures to .mac from iphoto

5. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I have the same problem. I reinstalled. I deleted the prefs file. If the wizard window even comes up, the app quits as soon as I select anything.

6. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

we tried it on a third mac, a core duo imac and it does the same thing

7. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

do you have Final Cut Pro or Studio installed?

8. t1937r0 macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem, and yes, I have Final Cut Studio 1 installed.

9. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I do not.

I fixed it by deleting iDVD and iMovie. I reinstalled the 06 versions from my MBP OS installer disks. Then I ran the iLife 08 installer/upgrader again. That seems to have fixed the problem. Now iDVD 08 works for me.

The only thing I can think of that caused this is that I had moved all the iLife 06 apps to a "iLife" directory in the Applications directory, instead of leaving them loose as they came. When I just did the reinstall of the 06 apps I let them stay where they were installed before running the 08 installer.

10. t1937r0 macrumors 6502a

I never moved mine. I will go through the process of reinstalling to see
    if that will help in my case.

11. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

never moved anything on any of these systems

12. t1937r0 macrumors 6502a

OK, I solved it for me, and perhaps you folks can use this information too.

It was a two step process.
    Step 1. Go to your personal Library/Application Support/iDVD folder
    Remove the Installed Themes folder
    Step 2. Go to the system Library/Application Support/iDVD/Themes folder
    Move the themes from the old versions of iDVD to some other place
    I chose to move all of the themes from iDVD 1 thru iDVD 6 out of there.

Then start iDVD.

It looks like iDVD was crashing while it was trying to copy the themes from
    the system iDVD/Themes folder into your personal iDVD/Installed Themes folder. Don't know why.

I also don't know that this will solve your problems too, but I'm hopeful.

Edit: After a little more research, it appears that iDVD 7 has problems only with iDVD 1 and iDVD 2 themes.
    It still works after I put the themes from iDVD 3 thru iDVD 6 back into the system Library/Application Support/iDVD/Themes folder.

13. foxy11 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info, but sadly changes nothing on my system :(

14. foxy11 macrumors newbie

UPDATE:

Managed to get it running....

On start iDVD copies across themes from the system library as you say.... it was still autocopying renamed themes and older themes (iDVD 1-4) into the user library.

The way I sorted it in the end was....

Move all the themes folders from System > Library > Application Support > iDVD > Themes

You cannot rename the folders (like I did when trying your workaround like a fool :D)

Soooo... You've got that folder completely empty...

Now go to Users > Username > Library > Application Support > iDVD > Installed Themes and remove any of its contents.

Now copy across those themes you moved from the system folder (iDVD 1, and 2 seem to cause mine to error though).

Works!

Cheers t1937r0!

15. EmptyG macrumors regular

I just deleted the themes for iDVD 1 and 2 and it worked for me! Thanks for the tip :)

16. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

This is definitely the fix. Thanks a bunch!!!

As for the previous iPhoto -> .mac problem: run software update. Apple released a patch for iPhoto that fixes this on upgraded libraries.

17. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

that solved the first error message, then we started getting a second error message, but it works now, it must have been a network error yesterday afternoon, cause it worked fine when i got home yesterday evening

18. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

okay, so i'm confused. i went to the themes folder and moved the templates from versions 1-4 to a different folder on my hard drive. i also deleted any templates in the installed themes folder. now, iDVD runs.

but... what do i do about those templates i moved to another folder? do i keep them in another folder? do i just delete them? will i be able to use any of the iDVD 1-4 themes with iDVD 7?

19. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

this is all so silly, the installer has an upgrade button that i picked, its not like we're installing over an old install, which technically we are, but this is the whole reason i switched to mac because everything is just suppose to work, but it doesn’t work so apparently i spent 3000 dollars on my little mac book pro for nothing so far im certainly not impressed with apple

20. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

since i never really heard back from anyone, i just kinda did my own thing. i kept putting the themes back in the folder until i came across the ones that were crashing it. i found out that for some reason, iDVD 1 and 2 themes crash iDVD 7. so i simply deleted those since i probably won't use them anyway and now it works fine.

one thing i noticed though, is that the iDVD 1 and 2 themes still show up in iDVD 7 (even after being deleted) but they are kind of greyed out. if you select one of them, it gives you multiple options on how to install it and use it. perhaps if we install the old themes that way they will work. i doubt i'll try it though. the newer themes are way better anyway.

21. t1937r0 macrumors 6502a

Those steps didn't work for me. I tried them before I arrived at my solution (posted earlier.) I found that iDVD continued to crash until the Themes from
    iDVD 1 and iDVD 2 were removed from /Library/Application Support/iDVD/Themes

22. err404 macrumors 68020

23. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I noticed I do not have any iDVD 1 or 2 themes in that directory, so I guess that is why the fix worked for me. It must be more than just 1 or 2 themes that causes this because I needed to do the fix described in the Apple KB.